Gentoo

nightsider

im downlading the gentoo beta 2 2008 live cd installer as we speek, ive installed debian before i was just wondering how much harder it is to install gentoo than it is debian

Bah, humbug! Live cd installer never works, I speak from experience. You need the minimal install cd for it to work. It is a little harder than debian though.

I would also advice you to skip the live-CD. Coming from DIY-Street I remember that likewhoa made some really good and simple guides. No idea whether that material has been transferred to here, or where to find it.

How much harder? That depends on how you look at it. Gentoo gives you good insight in the structure of Linux systems, so besides the initial obstacles it could well become easier in the long run. It's strength of compiling everything from source might on the other hand become time consuming.

If you don't want the compiling hassle, or at least keep it optional, you could also try Arch a primary binary distribution. I know I'm biased since it's my favourite distribution, but nevertheless it's kind of an easy CLI oriented distribution (not to make it more difficult but more efficient and KISS), modular and rolling as Gentoo.

I just wanted to confuse you with more options! :) Seriously, choose whatever suits you best.

Edited by KimTjik

I my self tried the live cd on that one and it didn't work with my new setup. Was something pretty major as it wouldn't even let me get to gnome let alone command line. Just do the minimal install cd. With gentoo as long as you follow what it says in the hand book then you can install it.