Completely Lost With Overclocking

I have a core2 q6600 with GO stepping on a N650i mobo, a TTmaxorb cooling it - i am hoping to get it to 3.0Ghz

No matter what i try i cannot stay stable and in some cases not even boot windows

I kept all voltages on normal/optimized and just increased Mhz from 266 to 333 - this completes post but freezes when it has to load windows

I increased the voltages manually quite significantly and set it to 333 - completed post but once again freezes when it needs to load windows

I tried less of an overclock, setting it to 299 which booted and then crased on almost any game

I changed the muliplier to 8 and set the Mhz to the corresponding settings to make it a 3.0 Ghz OC...froze at boot up again

I have tried all kinds of settings, voltages and whatnot and i just cant get past POST, i have read in reviews you can OC by increasing the FSB, is FSB the same as increasing the Mhz that is being multiplied - because i usually see FSB's well over 1000

I am a total noob at OCing, could anyone tell the noob what he is doing wrong or anyone with the same or similiar mobo give some advice?

Thankyou,

Love

Edited by Whatislove

you must be doing something seriously wrong... the stock FSB of a Q6600 is 266 MHz (1066 QDR)

if you can't even run stock speed, I'd say it's your odd mis-matched RAM (and not compensating for them)...

run 2 equal sticks in dual channel

you must be doing something seriously wrong... the stock FSB of a Q6600 is 266 MHz (1066 QDR)

if you can't even run stock speed, I'd say it's your odd mis-matched RAM (and not compensating for them)...

run 2 equal sticks in dual channel

woops, mistyped, i am running it at 266/stock - let me fix it up

And im using 3 sticks of 1gig (im guessing generic - has no custom heatsinks) 1066Mhz DDR2 RAM, all the same >.<

-When you raise your FSB, it also raises RAM frequency. Simply lower it's multiplier to leave it at stock or close to stock.

-You can also increase NB and FSB voltage. This might help if you're OCing the FSB.

And don't forget to test stabilty with a stress-testing program like OCCT or Orthos.(See pinned OC software)