Fan Speed Controller For A Vantec Tornado

I have been using a Vantec Tornado in my desktop PC for about a year now with NO speed control - For those of you that dont know.. thats a ~70dBa fan(aka loud)

I was curious as to suggestions on a good fan speed controller for it... I grabbed an old Zalman Fanmate that I had lying around only to find out the Tornado I put in wont let me control speed from the 3pin connector and I require a molex fan speed controller

The controller needs to meet a few requirements - Namely, it needs to be able to push the Vantec from a relatively slow speed to max speed -- If it cant handle the fan maxed out then there isnt much reason when Im doing overclocks now is there? :P

Also, I would prefer something that does NOT fit into a drivebay -- I currently have my desktop housed in a Tsunami Dream from Thermaltake -- The front door on it closed with very little gap between it and a drivebay so a fan controller with knobs sticking out likely wont fit!

So, recommendations on a fan controller that is able to handle a Vantec Tornado(92mm) and either fits into a drive bay with the door close on a Tsunami Dream case OR is a smaller controller that I can ziptie somewhere inside the case/is a PCI slotter controller(Do they even make those?)

Thanks!

http://www.xoxide.com/sunbeam-chormatic-windmill-silver.html

that should meet your needs :)

I do not have any experience using that particular controller, however I have had one similar in the past and it worked great

Appreciate the reply -- The Tornado I have draws about 12.5 watts of power according to the manufacturers spec - That controller only handles up to 10watts max per channel according to specs on Xoxide

Any idea about how much speed I will lose on the fan with the fan controller set to max as opposed to it plugged straight in and flying at max like it is now? (12watts to the fan rather than just the 10watts)

Appreciate the reply :)

well you might overheat the controller, or it might have features to prevent that happening.

::edit:: yea, but a little fiddy if you wanted to be able change between 0, 5, 7 and 12 involving a number of relays or switches

Edited by Comp Dude2

You could always direct wire it for 7v or 5v....

Never done this before -- Happen to have a link explaining/explain it a bit more indepth for me?

What are the disadvantages and is it easy to undo if I ever want the fan to get the full voltage again?

Its easy....

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article6-page1.html

People get so caught up on adapters and plugs... all those plugs just make for a messy case.... I direct wire whenever I can... clean, safe installs

Appreciate the link! Looks damnably easy :) -- Ill pick up a small switch on the way home from work tomorrow then :)

Thanks for the help all!

How are your soldering skills?

Why not build your own?

Fan Speed Controller

The transistor used here is 8A which is more than enough to run several fans at once.

My soldering skills are... well... lets just say I could use a bit of practice ;)

However, Ive got a friend that would probably not mind soldering me some parts together .. Ill ask tomorrow and see what he says -- I like the idea of being able to control multiple fans with it..

I have a 92mm Tornado... I also have a Tsunami... they used to run in harmony WITH a fan controller in the drive bay...

what I did was rewire the Tornado to 3-pin using a 3 way Molex KK 2695 0.1" housing and 3 KK terminals

obviously you can't plug this into your motherboard now without destroying the fan headers... but works well with 3 pin fan controller that can handle the power (volts x amps = watts)

frontfe9.th.jpg insideflashue7.th.jpg uvpaneloffah6.th.jpg

(92 mm tornado rewired to 3pin Molex KK, and AeroCool Gatewatch)

I think CoolerMaster do (or did) a low profile fan controller with digital controls called the AeroGate or something...

I have a 92mm Tornado... I also have a Tsunami... they used to run in harmony WITH a fan controller in the drive bay...

what I did was rewire the Tornado to 3-pin using a 3 way Molex KK 2695 0.1" housing and 3 KK terminals

obviously you can't plug this into your motherboard now without destroying the fan headers... but works well with 3 pin fan controller that can handle the power (volts x amps = watts)

frontfe9.th.jpg insideflashue7.th.jpg uvpaneloffah6.th.jpg

(92 mm tornado rewired to 3pin Molex KK, and AeroCool Gatewatch)

I think CoolerMaster do (or did) a low profile fan controller with digital controls called the AeroGate or something...

That motherboard looks just like the one I have(K8N Neo2)... though, looks like its laid out SLIGHTLY differently - Out of curiousity, which board is it?

Also, I had looked at doing something similar to this but wasnt quite sure how it would turn out.. worked well for you I take it?