Hd 3200 Onboard Graphics

Anyone using on board graphics? Getting a new Gigabyte board and this looks pretty good for on board. The VGA core clock has a default of 500 up to 1100. If anyone is using this let me know if increasing the core clock is the = to overclocking a video card.

Not going to get a new card for the folding machine until my E8400 rig needs an upgrade. At that point I'll move the card to the folding rig.

Wondering what the results are for using the GPU2 client for folding with an HD3200 onboard. Better than the x1950PRO AGP card I have?

i dont think HD3200 will beat the 1950pro. however if the motherboard can use hybrid crossfire and you give it another cheap gpu, like a 3450 it would perform decently i guess. sure seems like fun :P

I did find an article that a 3450 can go xfire with the onbaord. I'll have better results but still have concerns that the HD 3200 will heat up. Is there a way to put a fan on a board that covers the onboard graphics chip?

Guest ajmatson

I am assuming you are talking about a 780G chipset board? Yes it can go hybrid crossfire with an HD3450 card (see here). You will not be breaking any gaming records at high resolutions or settings but it is a decent board for folding and an HTPC. You can OC the video but don't get excited about the 1100MHz. Just because it is in the BIOS does not mean it will work :) I was able to get the GA-MA78GM-SH2 board to 725MHz before issues but it was a very decent overclock for an integrated GPU. As for heat I would recommend keeping the case insides cool as the Northbridge will get ot if OC'd. Good Luck ;)

Don't know what Gigabyte board you'll be using but I built a GA-MA78GM-S2H a couple of months ago for my landlady.

She's using it for business - e-mail, light photo editing, MS Word, etc.

It's a great HTPC but I wouldn't recommend the onboard video for gaming.

Frame rates were pretty low and the 3DMark06 scores were horrible but it worked great when connected to my HDTV with an HDMI cable.

First thing I did was to remove the NB (780G) & SB (SB700) heatsinks and apply AS5.

Here's a pic of the SB w/o hs.

Using the IDE header as a reference I would guess that the pin to pin measurement is about 47-48mm so any hs/fan with that span will work.

SB700.jpg

Bill

Thanks for the visual aid. Gets me ahead of the game. Unsure how to mount the fan over that though? Are there risers that can go onto the board? That's the board I'm getting in AJ's review. I won't game on it just wondering about folding. Getting rid of the AGP board I just picked up. Its running but I made a very poor decision going that route and should have gone with an AMD board with PCI-E from the start. Plan is to fold SMP until the HD 3870 in the Intel rig gets a bit dated. Then I push it downstream to the AMD rig. I'll then GPU2 client for awhile and then upgrade the CPU as prices on the tri's & quad's start to drop and go back to SMP. I now have a plan.

This is the stock cooler.

StockCooler.jpg

Again by using the IDE header as a reference it appears to be around 35x35mm.

I'm not sure but a 40mm fan might work.

Bill

Edited by electric bill