Xigmatek S1283

ank14

I have a 1.3250V VID G0 Q6600... it definitely needs more than 1.300V for 3.0GHz lol... for 3.6 GHz I'm putting 1.575V through it, with a vDrop of 0.007V, no vDroop

Mine's also a 1.325 and only needs about 1.28v (as read by CPUz) to run up to ~3.03, though after that it LOVES voltage and has needed nearly 1.39 to get just over 3.2 solid :-\

Now as for the S1283, love mine, running that same quad in a ~23C room at 3.0 and 1.27v (again CPUz reading) gives me straight 27s idle, and a loads in the 38-40C range.

Moving to 3.22 and 1.384v it's doing around 30-31C idle and loading around 48-50C. I don't call that bad at all for a cooler that cost $37 to get it at my door.

One tough thing is however the thermal paste application and mounting. I did somewhat thick lines down each heatpipe with the center being thickest. That way it helps fill the gaps between the pipes giving a little more heat transfer (didnt make them as thick for my first try at mounting it and it didnt seem to cool as well (about 2 deg variation).

Anyway goodluck with it and just keep in mind that while if you pay more you'll get more in teh case of the TRUE/water, you wont always get what you pay for by comparison. It's all a tradeoff. Personally the main rig will be back under water "shortly" (been telling myself that for 2 weeks now) and the LAN rig will get the E6400 swapped out for the old 3.7 capable E6600 and this cooler. Should be more than fine and a hell of alot better than the stock cooler in there now.

Mine are all open rigs no case, all rigs sitting on a table side by side in the same ambient temp etc....

Well, that explains the difference you had using a super high cfm fan. I tried a few different fans on my Xigmatek and didn't notice much difference between them I didn't like the fan that came with it, but I didn't see much temperature change using just about any fan in my collection even up to a 110 cfm sunon. Everything I have above 60 or so cfm produced similar results.

I can unplug my cpu fan and see no change in idle temps and only about a 5C raise in load temps with the door on my case. If I take the door off my case, my idle temps jump 9 C with my cpu fan unplugged. I am running a pair of 88 cfm 120mm scythe slipstreams for intake in my case and I'm still running my video card in the bottom X16 slot to get it away from my NB and CPU. This set up generates some nice constant airflow for my cooler.

Its great for the price and if your not going over about 1.45 vcore on a quad that runs 24/7 full load from what I can tell. I am fixing to put the Quad its on under water also. I have had everything for a few months to do it with I just have done it...

One tough thing is however the thermal paste application and mounting. I did somewhat thick lines down each heatpipe with the center being thickest. That way it helps fill the gaps between the pipes giving a little more heat transfer (didnt make them as thick for my first try at mounting it and it didnt seem to cool as well (about 2 deg variation).

I found that too, the usual method of putting a small BB size in the center of the CPU doesn't really apply with the HDT coolers, its far more effective treating each heat pipe with a small amount first.

I did the BB in the center of the CPU first, didn't like the initial temps in the BIOS so when I removed the cooler those little channels had prevented the TIM from spreading onto the other pipes. After I got a good contact across all of the pipes i removed it again and used a sharp piece of plastic and scraped out the excess TIM from the channels between the heat pipes too. I am using OCZ freeze as my TIM I think it does have an edge on AS5, the good thing is it needs no cure time so your first initial temps are the important ones, as with AS5 I think it takes a week or two to settle.

Going to 3Ghz I really only have to give the Vcore a bump to 1.27 for stability sake, but like most of you going above 3Ghz I need a ridiculous amount of Vcore, for even 3.2Ghz I have to bump it to 1.33 just for that 200Mhz gain. For 3.6Ghz I am finding that 1.44v is the sweet spot.