Problems With Overclock

jaygo

so i have overclocked my CPU a couple of months ago to 3ghz and it worked fine was stable ran prime 3dmark and all that. but today when i tried to boot it up it just kept on freezing at the post screen, wasnt able to enter bios, just froze. So after 30 odd tries i decided to clear the CMOS, but before i that i unplugged the dvd drive and one fan, thinking that it may be the psu. Well did that then booted and got a screen saying the cpu was unworkable, so then set the clock back to defult setting, 2.4ghz and now its working fine, Very confused. Before overclocking back up to 3ghz i need help figuring out the problem. My therory is that my enermax 425WT isnt good enough or faulty, or my cpu needed its voltage adjusted. It confusing because why would it work fine for a couple of months and then suddenly not. Any suggestions ? Thanks

Surprising that this is the first problem you've had. Not trying to be a smarty pants, but your current power supply is severely under rated for the gear in your sig. and most likely the primary culprit in the problems you are experiencing.

Replace that power supply first and foremost before you damage anything else.

Your sig. indicates you are running;

Q6600 overclocked

8800GT

4 gb RAM

This job requires a power supply in the neighborhood of 550W or higher with probably 30-38A on a single rail or split between two. And that would probably be marginal at best. Since you are only running one video card I'd recommend a good quality psu with a single rail.

If you are in the states,

Hands down the very best power supply at this price point is the OCZ GameXStream 700W unit.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817341002

I bought one of these almost the moment they became available through retail channels and paid close to $170.00 for it. I still have that power supply to this day and keep it as a backup unit. It is SOLID!

Highly recommended - especially considering the rebate.

If you are in the states,

Hands down the very best power supply at this price point is the OCZ GameXStream 700W unit.

Highly recommended - especially considering the rebate.

OCZ bought PCP&C a while back. Is that unit manufactured by PCP&C? I'm curious. The PCP&C Quad750 has steadily been dropping in price since OCZ bought them. It's about the same with its current rebate http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817703009 .

EDIT:

Never-mind. It can't be manufactured by PCP&C. The specs answered my question when I took a closer look. AFAIK, PCP&C doesn't split their 12v rail.

Edited by six

Never-mind. It can't be manufactured by PCP&C. The specs answered my question when I took a closer look. AFAIK, PCP&C doesn't split their 12v rail.

having a single rail is better then having multiple rails for a system using, dual video cards, and overclocking.

Damian,

I've got the Corsair TX750W in my main rig right now (and in fact it is the very unit that replaced my OCZ GameXStream 700). I purchased the Corsair unit for testing and review but there wasn't anything wrong with my OCZ. I used it for over a year without a single issue, and wouldn't hesitate to put it back in for any reason.

The Corsair is a GREAT power supply, but so is the OCZ. Considering the price differential - $89.99 for the OCZ after rebates - and $119.99 for the Corsair after rebates, it all comes down to budget and how much the OP wants to spend on a power supply. Either way he won't go wrong.

this might be biased but IMHO i think Corsair just rules the power supply business, all there units of amazing quality, all above 80% efficiency, large single rail systems(except the new corsair HX1000w), and affordable for the low end user, med-end, and high end user. They have a power supply for just about every wattage range on the market, at a low cost.

(newegg.com)

corsair VX450W - $80 ($70 w/MIR)

corsair VX550W - $99 ($84 w/MIR)

corsair HX520W - $129 ($109 w/MIR)

corsair HX620W - $169 ($144 w/MIR)

corsair HX1000w - $299

corsair TX650W - $109 ($89 w/MIR)

corsair TX750W - $129 ($119 w/MIR)

ps. amazing MIR deals ;)

like i said "IMHO"

just my two cents :)

having a single rail is better then having multiple rails for a system using, dual video cards, and overclocking.

They all have one 12v rail. Some are just split into several leads. I really don't know how they get away with saying "dual 12v rail" or "quad 12v rail" because it simply isn't true. It all comes from one rail whether they split it or not. They can call it multiple rails all day long, but the fact remains that the 12v all comes from the same input. Splitting it increases the possible points of failure, but doesn't change the amps that can be distributed.

They all have one 12v rail. Some are just split into several leads. I really don't know how they get away with saying "dual 12v rail" or "quad 12v rail" because it simply isn't true. It all comes from one rail whether they split it or not. They can call it multiple rails all day long, but the fact remains that the 12v all comes from the same input. Splitting it increases the possible points of failure, but doesn't change the amps that can be distributed.

Some very high end power supplies do have seperate 12V regulators for each rail but the majority as you say are single rail regulators with multiple outputs taken from them. I have to say though having recently looked at an OCZ Stealth X Stream 600W that the four 12V lines although taken from main 12V rail are all individually monitored and current limited and as long as you balance your 12V loading correctly it could be argued that this is the safer option.

I really don't know how they get away with saying "dual 12v rail" or "quad 12v rail" because it simply isn't true.

Most of the time the term multiple rails indicates that each so called rail is individually overcurrent protected at it rated output.