2800+ Problems

I know a topic similar to this may have already been posted. I just can't seem to find a solution.

I'm running a 2800+ barton / Asus A7N8X deluxe / 512MB PC2700 RAM, at stock speed.

Here is the problem:

Computer restarts itself in a middle of gaming (Q3 Arena, Half-Life). It is also failing the Prime 95 torture test (gets to step 3 or 4 and comes up with a rounding error). I've re-seated my heatsink 3 times already. When I check the BIOS, the idle temperature is around 35C. I got two intake and two exhaust fans. Using Arctic Silver 3 compound. Any suggestions?

sounds like you might be overheating to me. What is the rest of your setup like, case, fans, hsf, cables, I think your problem might have to do with your cpu getting to hot then rebooting. Let us know what the rest of your setup is.

I got the "Empire" case from Colorcases.com (slightly modified it myself to increase airflow), using round IDE cables (I don't think I have an airflow problem, all the wires are tucked to the sides nice and neatly), 500 WATT power supply (plenty of power), Thermaltake heatspreader on the memory (probably don't even need this if I am not overclocking), intake and exhaust fans (all running at around 6000-7000 RPM [LOUD, but who cares]).

Anyway, I did some benchmarking with Prime95 and Sandra @ 1250MHz and 1333MHz, and the PC seemed to be stable. It's getting kinda frustrating with the PC restarting at its supposed stock speed. Maybe I have a defective CPU? Any idea? If you have a 2800+ barton with A7N8X can you please post or email me your BIOS settings. Maybe I am not doing something right. I highly doubt the cpu is overheating, but it might be. A buddy of mine is running a 3000+ barton and it idles @ 50C w/o any problems (around 65C @ full load).

you know its not unheard of happening. There has never been a perfect CPU made to date and maybe yours has a critical flaw.

I Agree with Firez though, i would reinstall windows. Also it may not be your processor. Mobo have critical falures more often than any other piece of hardware.

Keep us posted, and report back

Muninn

Make sure you reinstall drivers too, ALL of them..

I don't know if you can reinstall your OS without reinstalling drivers..

But also try your Direct X, i was having similar problems with 3D games

Hope you figure it out

Hukka

Okay, I found the root of the problem. Went out today and purchased a new memory stick (Samsung) and replaced the old one with it. The old one was Crucial brand. Computer running Prime95 like a champ and games aren't crashing anymore. Thanks for all your input guys.

Was it just bad memory?

hmmmm.......

Well i'm glad you figured it out without having to reinstall windows, (LOL what a pain in the .)

Let us know if you have any more problems

Muninn :blink:

• 3 months later...