I Can't Get My Temps Down Help =(

Hi everyone. Im new to high end machines and this is my first gaming rig. Im having some trouble keeping my cpu and gpu temps down. My setup includes a core 2 quad q6600, evga 780i mobo, an evga 8800 gts gpu, 4gigs ocz sli ram, an ultra 650w psu, and i just switched to the thermaltake big typhoon cooler after finding out the thermaltake v1 doesnt fit in my case. Anyway so im running vista 64bit, and according to my bios, coretemp, and evga precision, my cpu cores are in the mid 40's and my gpu is above 52 (celcius). I would like to clock this rig higher than stock but i dont think it will be stable if i do cuz it crashes playin WOW as it is. (i get black checkerboard on my display) any suggestions would be appreciated. :D

My setup includes a core 2 quad q6600, evga 780i mobo, an evga 8800 gts gpu, 4gigs ocz sli ram, an ultra 650w psu, and i just switched to the thermaltake big typhoon cooler after finding out the thermaltake v1 doesnt fit in my case. Anyway so im running vista 64bit, and according to my bios, coretemp, and evga precision, my cpu cores are in the mid 40's and my gpu is above 52 (celcius).

Those temps are fine. Look elsewhere for the cause of your crashing. I'd run memtest on that RAM first.

Your GPU could idle at 62c and run load somewhere in the 80s within spec, and as long as your CPU isn't going above 65c (rated much higher, but I'd have a mild stroke if I saw my Q6600 cores above 65c) it is running well within where it should be.

THose temperatures look fine. Are those Idle or load temperature. If its load temps I am envious of you. I dont have a card or chip that loads at those temps but then again they are all maxed out. The Big typhoon is not that great on a Q6600 unless you are pusing mass amounts of air through it with a high pressure 38mm or greater fan. The warm air blows down onto the motherboard and will heat up the back side of the video card. You will need excellent case ventilation to stay on top of the heat load.

THose temperatures look fine. Are those Idle or load temperature. If its load temps I am envious of you. I dont have a card or chip that loads at those temps but then again they are all maxed out. The Big typhoon is not that great on a Q6600 unless you are pusing mass amounts of air through it with a high pressure 38mm or greater fan. The warm air blows down onto the motherboard and will heat up the back side of the video card. You will need excellent case ventilation to stay on top of the heat load.

those temps are under minimal load (internet browser, backround threads) i found a spot of dead air around my gpu. Im gonna try to mod my case to get better flow i got 2 120mm fans in/out and a 80mm intake on side of case. But the front of case isnt vented or anything.

The TT BT was an excellent air cooling solution for the Athlon A64 single core processors. But it just simply doesn't have the the heat dissipation ability needed for a quad core, especially one that is overclocked. There are better solutions out there for you. The OCZ Vendetta 2 is getting good marks right now and might be something you want to take a look at.

Cheers.

what are you trying to OC it to? i have a pretty similar setup..

except for cooling.

what are your voltages for current spd?

BTW read [p]'s 780i overclocking guide

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=77324

and if you have a evga 780i like me, you have a bad vdroop too so keep that in mind

what are you trying to OC it to? i have a pretty similar setup..

except for cooling.

what are your voltages for current spd?

BTW read [p]'s 780i overclocking guide

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=77324

and if you have a evga 780i like me, you have a bad vdroop too so keep that in mind

ok so thanks for every1 responding. i went out and bought a slot fan, and used rivatuner to increase fan speed so now my temps for the gpu are in high 40'sC WOOT :thumbs-up: :P hopefully now i can get a small overclock maybe 2.8 or so. Cpu temp dropped a little from that as well so i feel a little better. thanks again every1