Overclocking An E6300

I'll make this quick:

I have a Foxconn p9657aa mobo.I can clock my cpu to a 299mhz fsb,but if i go past that,the system fails to post and i get a horrid beeping sound from the bios.

Does this mean i have to overvolt the cpu in order to get it stable?

I have also set my ram to 667 so no-one has to mention that. At the moment im on a 292mhz fsb @2.05ghz.My rams about 740mhz.

And one more thing.My mobo says it supports cpu's up to a 1066 fsb,so if im overclocking the cpu,does that mean im effectively overclocking the mobo as well? Or is it just the cpu? Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Most likely if you've reached 292mhz, stable (some serious hours on the usual Prime/Orthos/memtest ride) at I'm guessing stock Vcore and that going to 299 makes you not post, then you've hit the wall where stock vcore will get you too. Try bumping up the Vcore, one value and see if it posts at that speed. Might have to bump it up a couple values, just don't go past 1.5v. From reviews of that board and that CPU, looks like somewhere around the 1.4v should net you above 300mhz FSB. ALSO make sure your temps are stable, and below 60C MAX (others live more dangerously, but i don't like breaking 55C under load)

My E4500 is currently at 2.8ghz(255x11), with my Vcore set at 1.36, had to bump it up from 1.325 to get it stable past 2.64ghz (240x11)

Okay mate,i'll try bumping up the vcore a bit.I'll let you know if im successful.Oh and what about my overclocking the mobo question?

When you increase the FSB of a chip, you're overclocking the motherboard, cpu, and memory all at once. That's the short answer.

The long answer is that it's more debatable. If the board lists support for higher FSB's than you're using, then you're really not "overclocking" it, since it's designed to run at that speed or higher. Same with memory.

Most of the time lately, motherboards and memory seem to be way ahead of processors in terms of stock FSB speeds. So a lot of times you can run the processor at a huge OC but still have the board and memory within "stock acceptable" speeds. At that point, it's pretty debatable if you're really "overclocking" anything besides the chip.

Also, yes it does sound like you need to increase vCore to go further. What software are you using to test stability?

^ what he said

Example, with DDR2-667 ram and a 1:1 memory divider, you could run up to 333mhz FSB with out actually OC'ing your ram. What type of ram do you have btw, maybe your hitting a wall with your ram because of a high ratio between your FSB:RAM?

ie. if you set a manual memory divider, you might be pushing your ram more then it's rated for. Try dropping to a 1:1 divider while your OC'ing then setting the divider back up to your ram's rated speed once you get the OC :)

Edited by CanadaGUY

Well i increased the vcore by 1 value and it did then post @2.1ghz.Also my mobo states that it can accept chips up to a 1066fsb.CPU-Z is now showing my e6300 as running on a 1200fsb with a x6 multiplier.(i have power saving on in my bios) Is that going too far for my mobo? I get a bit paranoid about this stuff.Oh yeah,i shamefully admit that im not running any apps for stability since ive never had a single crash while gaming.Which ones do you reccemmend?

Well ive just tried a torture test on prime 95 and the temps hit 65c.I measured the readings with the latest version of real temp.I should point out that i stopped the test prematurely cos i was getting para(as usual) Are the temps safe?