Cpu Check

I'm going to replace my Q6600 with an E8400 or likewise for my EVGA 680i mobo. I think I fried part of the Q6600...so that's why I'm replacing it. Is there any particular revision/stepping I should get with this CPU? Is there a better processor that I should get than the E8400? I really don't need a quad. The price was right when I bought this one. I do mostly gaming on this comp and will only be doing some minor overclocking.

Edited by jack_of_java

not necessarily fried I guess king...more..it's about to burn out? Cores 1, 3, and 4 are reading normal temp wise. Core 2 is really overheating for no reason. When I OC'd it a couple months ago, I ran OCCT for many hours and everything was fine. Max temp was 55 or so on my WC setup. I can't even run OCCT now because core 2 will overheat. It'll overheat on desktop if the comp is on over 2 hours causing it to lock up. I just tried to run OCCT again today. Cores 1, 3, and 4 sat idle at 45C and max of 62C again. Core 2 sat idle at 52C and ran hot enough to shut down OCCT during the stress test (68C+). I'm going to try a new application of AS5 tonight, but I don't think that is it. I just put some fresh stuff on a couple of weeks ago.

**Update*** Just reapplied AS5 and tried "burning in" the AS5 by running OCCT. Core 2 is still overheating and causing the program to stop. I disabled it in bios and am going to try and see if it won't lock up so much. Right now, 10 minutes max and it locks up.

Edited by jack_of_java

I believe then it has something to do with the pressure of your WC block. From what you're saying, I think that the WC block is cooling cores 1,3 and 4 just fine, but is lacking the pressure on core 2, so that's overheating... You don't seem to have OCed it too far or too extremely though, so I don't think you fried it!

i did check all the mounting screws and the nuts that came with the waterblock when I reapplied AS5 last weekend. The nuts are the ones that are rounded off at the top, so you can only put them so far onto the screw. The springs have tension underneath the nuts as well. I'm using the Swifttech Apogee GT (i 'm pretty sure it's the GT). I've completely removed the OC for the processor and now have it at factor 2.4GHz. I'm getting a few lock up from time to time, but nothing like I did before. I can run OCCT without problems, but that particular core still gets way hotter than the others. I think though what I'm going to do is just wait out until it's time to upgrade again. No sense in spending money on a new processor when this one is somewhat working now. With the way the market is going, I'm sure that the prices will keep dropping anyways. Thanks again for the help King.

i did check all the mounting screws and the nuts that came with the waterblock when I reapplied AS5 last weekend. The nuts are the ones that are rounded off at the top, so you can only put them so far onto the screw. The springs have tension underneath the nuts as well. I'm using the Swifttech Apogee GT (i 'm pretty sure it's the GT). I've completely removed the OC for the processor and now have it at factor 2.4GHz. I'm getting a few lock up from time to time, but nothing like I did before. I can run OCCT without problems, but that particular core still gets way hotter than the others. I think though what I'm going to do is just wait out until it's time to upgrade again. No sense in spending money on a new processor when this one is somewhat working now. With the way the market is going, I'm sure that the prices will keep dropping anyways. Thanks again for the help King.

I would agree with the above... it almost sounds like one of the cores isn't touching the cooler properly. It sounds like it should be from what you said, my only thought would be that somehow the water block might have warped or something strange. Might be worth putting a straight edge on it just for laughs.

I hope it works out for you!

:withstupid: You make a good point there Jethell! Have you tried putting both the waterblock and the CPU on a totally flat surface? It could be that the IHS and the waterblock are both slightly concave so that the core in question isn't making as good a contact.