First Thinking Build Suggestions?

Smallsn

Please give me some suggestion on my first build xD. Should i O/C to 3.0Ghz or 3.6ghz Hmm tough one. Tips if i should for 3.6ghz with this build.

MB: Gigabyte X38-DS4 $199

CPU: Q6600 2.40Ghz $253

GFX: 512MB 8800GT Gigabyte $265.

HD: W.D.SATA 250GB $72

RAM: 2G Kit-800Mhz(2x1G) $46

PSU: Antec Earth Watts 500W $99

Should i buy more Watts, if i want to O/C?

Cooler: Scythe Infinity $40 on Newegg (Not sure how much in AUStralia).

Case: I don't know help oon this one too. I need vents don't want to have overheat problems

The shop I be ordering from is here: http://www.msy.com.au/Parts/PARTS.pdf

Edited by Smallsn

Then an 8600GT/GTS might be a little low for you if you intend to play new games on it! I'd get at least an 8800GT or HD3870 when you want to play games like Crysis or Company of Heroes at more than 1024x768 ;)

Definitely a good choice! :) The Earthwatt series PSUs are solid buys! As for your 8800GT/9600GT question, the 9600GT is slower than the 8800GT, however not that much. You should check out the OCC review here: http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/xfx_9600_gt/6.htm

What's the price difference between the two?

Also for the RAM, why get 2GB DDR2-667 when 2GB of VERY nice DDR2-800 are 5 bucks more (or 20 bucks less with the Mail-In-Rebate!): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820146565 <-- Crucial Ballistix

The CPU cooler is a decent one, however it's WAY overpriced! The Scythe Infinity (Mugen) for 40$ is a much better buy, also it's possibly one of the quietest CPU coolers out there!

Definitely a good choice! :) The Earthwatt series PSUs are solid buys! As for your 8800GT/9600GT question, the 9600GT is slower than the 8800GT, however not that much. You should check out the OCC review here: http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/xfx_9600_gt/6.htm

What's the price difference between the two?

Also for the RAM, why get 2GB DDR2-667 when 2GB of VERY nice DDR2-800 are 5 bucks more (or 20 bucks less with the Mail-In-Rebate!): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820146565 <-- Crucial Ballistix

The CPU cooler is a decent one, however it's WAY overpriced! The Scythe Infinity (Mugen) for 40$ is a much better buy, also it's possibly one of the quietest CPU coolers out there!

Nah don't worry about the 9600GT. There a condition apply with it. It was like a $65 Different but i guess i have to buy a Intel System Pack with it but i want to build my own.

Don't i need a 667 to cloak a 2.4gb to a 3.0ghz. Since a 667/2 = 333x2.40 = 3.0ghz? Unless i just thought about it 1066 i can just set it to a 333mhz >>.

Sythe Infinity i just was talking about it today with some random. Yeah then i get that one thanks for the tip. $40 thats cheap like $40??? or 40 more and im in Australia prob have to order it. Which site is good?

If you got the Q6600, more specifically the G0 stepping model, then I bet you could hit 3.6GHz no problem. I got 3.7GHz out of mine on air. Is there a reason you're only overclocking to 3.0GHz? I haven't gotten a chance to play with a Q9300 so I can't tell you anything about those.

For the RAM, I'd definitely get Mushkin RAM because not only are they really high quality, most of them have awesome headroom for overclocking. My Mushkin XP2-6400 series was absolutely AMAZING when it came to overclocking.

The 8800GT is solid so do yourself a favor and get that. Everything looks good though :thumbs-up:

If you got the Q6600, more specifically the G0 stepping model, then I bet you could hit 3.6GHz no problem. I got 3.7GHz out of mine on air. Is there a reason you're only overclocking to 3.0GHz? I haven't gotten a chance to play with a Q9300 so I can't tell you anything about those.

For the RAM, I'd definitely get Mushkin RAM because not only are they really high quality, most of them have awesome headroom for overclocking. My Mushkin XP2-6400 series was absolutely AMAZING when it came to overclocking.

The 8800GT is solid so do yourself a favor and get that. Everything looks good though :thumbs-up:

3.0ghz because i read a forum. That some dude O/C to 3.6ghz and he couldn't play some game. But when he O/C back to 3.0 it run properly but his COD4 Restarted still. But thats just him yeah? Probably his Wattsor so Btw if i got the SyCthe Infinity i don't think it is compatible with my MB or is it?

Thank you Makaveli, making me having confidents with this build =]

Alright i might be able to go with the Stepping mode (GO). But can i get that in Australia and does it say it on the box the word GO?

Not sure if i can buy that ram in Australia too haven't seen that brand highest i seen is probably kingston but i go try and loook foor it. =]]

Someone help me about the case not sure about the case so expensive these days.

Might aswell O/C to 3.2 or 3.6Ghz

Go here and go down to the case section, there are a few of them there :)

I personally use the Thermaltake Armor Extreme for my main rig and the Cooler Master Cosmos S for my secondary testing rig. They both are very nice and there is quite a bit of room in the Armor as well as the Cosmos S

there are some other good cases out there, it just all depends on what your taste is and what you are looking for. Also what size you are looking for? the Armor and the Cosmos S are both full towers

Go here and go down to the case section, there are a few of them there :)

I personally use the Thermaltake Armor Extreme for my main rig and the Cooler Master Cosmos S for my secondary testing rig. They both are very nice and there is quite a bit of room in the Armor as well as the Cosmos S

there are some other good cases out there, it just all depends on what your taste is and what you are looking for. Also what size you are looking for? the Armor and the Cosmos S are both full towers

Just a normal case that would fit all my things in. But have some room. What does case depend on?