Crysis Requirements

jaygo

So i installed crysis on my puter (specs in sig) and maxed out the settings and was getting a pretty unplayable frame rate. Although i can turn down the settings and play ok i still wanna play on max settings. So which part needs upgrading? im pretty sure my GPU isnt up to running crysis maxed out so im thinking of upgrading to a MSI R3820x2 but im not sure if ill needs other upgrades as well?

hmm ok so i dont have enough dosh for supreme performance, but certainly i need a more powerful video card? a review of the one now says the max fps i can get for crysis maxed is 25, whilst the msi R3870x2 is 44. So upgrading the gpu would be a good start wouldnt it?

hmm ok so i dont have enough dosh for supreme performance, but certainly i need a more powerful video card? a review of the one now says the max fps i can get for crysis maxed is 25, whilst the msi R3870x2 is 44. So upgrading the gpu would be a good start wouldnt it?

absolutely, upgrading your video card is the easiest way to increase graphics performance - but, if you can be patient for 6 more months, I think it'd be worth waiting for the GeForce 99xx series. while concrete info is kinda hard to find, I'll quote this from Wikipedia -

"There has been some speculation that Nvidia will be releasing rumoured 99xx series cards in Q3 [20] all built on code-named GT200 core, as opposed to the 98xx series' G92 core. In terms of performance, it is rumoured that the GeForce 9900 GT will be more powerful than the current 9800 GTX, and the GeForce 9900 GTX will be more powerful than the current 9800 GX2.

There is a general misconception that there will also be a a 9900 GX2, however Nvidia has not officially said anything about it yet."

for me to be able to offer any further advice, I'd need to know your budget and how long you can/will wait for price drops and/or new cards. :)

for the price, this card isnt too bad, it would be worth upgrading. There have been some updates to the catalyst drives since I have written that review, however that is the card I am using in my gaming rig and with crysis on medium settings with audio, water, shadows, and something else(?) maxed out I was getting an average of about 24-26 FPS using a E6850 @ 3.75GHz on Vista 64bit Ultimate :)

Hope this helps

Edit...

I just opened it up and looked at my settings, these are what I have been using...

1680x1050 resolution

4x AA

textures - Medium

objects - Medium

shadows - High

physis - Medium

shaders - High

volumetric effects - Medium

game effects - High

postprocessing - Medium

particles - Medium

water - High

sound - Very High

So i installed crysis on my puter (specs in sig) and maxed out the settings and was getting a pretty unplayable frame rate. Although i can turn down the settings and play ok i still wanna play on max settings. So which part needs upgrading? im pretty sure my GPU isnt up to running crysis maxed out so im thinking of upgrading to a MSI R3820x2 but im not sure if ill needs other upgrades as well?

Best to just tune down the settings. Turn everything on high except Texture detail which will be required to be turned on low (and no AA/AF..duh). And you should get most of that candy eye appeal through gaming.

absolutely, upgrading your video card is the easiest way to increase graphics performance - but, if you can be patient for 6 more months, I think it'd be worth waiting for the GeForce 99xx series. while concrete info is kinda hard to find, I'll quote this from Wikipedia -

"There has been some speculation that Nvidia will be releasing rumoured 99xx series cards in Q3 [20] all built on code-named GT200 core, as opposed to the 98xx series' G92 core. In terms of performance, it is rumoured that the GeForce 9900 GT will be more powerful than the current 9800 GTX, and the GeForce 9900 GTX will be more powerful than the current 9800 GX2.

There is a general misconception that there will also be a a 9900 GX2, however Nvidia has not officially said anything about it yet."

for me to be able to offer any further advice, I'd need to know your budget and how long you can/will wait for price drops and/or new cards. :)

well 6 months is a fair while to wait. i would like to get a new card pretty soon, next month or so. I plan on getting a 24 inch lcd first though so well see how much money i have after that. But roughly the budget for the card is around 500 - 700 Aus , 1 american dollar = 90 aus cents. Im pretty keen on this MSI 3870x2 though as the computer used in the magazine had exact same specs as mine, minus the GPU. so i dunno maybe i should just stick to the latest command and conquer lol.

sorry to disappoint you, but there's just no way to run Crysis @ max everything.

you could probably do it with Tri 8800Ultras or Dual 3870X2s

I can run forced Very High in DX9 at 1920x1200 no AA with 8800GTS SLI

with a single 8800GTS OC'd to 702/1044 I could run 1680x1050 no AA

I say, get a heatsink for the 8800GT and OC it, unless you're running 1920x1200 in which case it's not gonna happen with a single 8800GT

for the price, this card isnt too bad, it would be worth upgrading. There have been some updates to the catalyst drives since I have written that review, however that is the card I am using in my gaming rig and with crysis on medium settings with audio, water, shadows, and something else(?) maxed out I was getting an average of about 24-26 FPS using a E6850 @ 3.75GHz on Vista 64bit Ultimate :)

You mean downgrade to that card lol, 8800GT 512 > HD3850

you could probably do it with Tri 8800Ultras or Dual 3870X2s

I can run forced Very High in DX9 at 1920x1200 no AA with 8800GTS SLI

with a single 8800GTS OC'd to 702/1044 I could run 1680x1050 no AA

I say, get a heatsink for the 8800GT and OC it, unless you're running 1920x1200 in which case it's not gonna happen with a single 8800GT

@ nrg + peter - I think our definitions of "everything maxed" are different. I include AA/AF in "everything". :P