Q6600- Go Stepping Or Not?

herk56

I just bought a retail boxed Q6600 and checking the box label, there is no mention of GO Stepping. Is there something on the Intel label that will indicate GO stepping? The S-SPEC is SLACR.

I just bought a retail boxed Q6600 and checking the box label, there is no mention of GO Stepping. Is there something on the Intel label that will indicate GO stepping? The S-SPEC is SLACR.

I answered my own question with a little research. If your CPU box or CPU itself has S-Spec: SLACR or just SLACR, you have a GO stepping CPU. Ijust bought a retail Q6600 from Fry's for $189.99 plus shipping and it's a SLACR. I'm happy!!

Good, now get the OCing that chip.

I will, but that's the only part of my new build that I have. The other parts are in the process of being decided upon and ordered.

while it's better than a B3, you can still get stubborn G0 chips... 1.325v VID is hard work compared to those ~1.26v

:withstupid: I have to agree on that Steve, the 1.325s are stubborn compaired the lower VIDs but you still should be able to get a 1Ghz OC on most. Remember not to long ago when the only chip that would get that was the P4 2.4Ghz?

while it's better than a B3, you can still get stubborn G0 chips... 1.325v VID is hard work compared to those ~1.26v

My first 1.325 was a fight to get stable at 3105 mhz and though it went higher, I could never seem to keep it happy above 3105. My second 1.325 is an entirely different story. After Roadrunners advice got me straightened out the other day, it is a comfortable OC at 3600 mhz. I can't seem to push it past 3760, but I'm beginning to suspect my memory as the problem. - If a 1.26 is easier than this one, then maybe I'll try again and order another one.... but if I keep ordering new chips until I get a "golden" chip, I'll eventually have to start considering the 45nm stuff instead.

:withstupid: I have to agree on that Steve, the 1.325s are stubborn compaired the lower VIDs but you still should be able to get a 1Ghz OC on most. Remember not to long ago when the only chip that would get that was the P4 2.4Ghz?

They get binned at the higher VID for a reason. :P