64-bit Os - Should I Do It?

cspizz

I'm actively looking for information on a specific, discrete issue, and that is why I have been posting so actively. Once I'm satisfied with the info I get, I'll stop posting until the next time I have a question or issue I'd like to discuss. I don't have so much time on my hands that I'd be able to sustain that, even if I wanted to. If someone is able to post at that rate for enough years to manage 2,500+ posts and it's not their job to do so, that person would seem to have way too much free time. I suggest a hobby other than posting on internet forums. Maybe get out. Take a walk, Ride a bike. Pursue relations with someone from the opposite gender. Get a job.

You don't want the answer we're giving you so how about instead of being incredibly insulting you just go back to ignoring the internet? :rolleyes:

I think that is true, unfortunately I didn't realize there would be so many obstinate and boorish people here also. It's a compliment that I come to you all for information, and I don't understand why that wouldn't be pleasing instead of making some of you petulant. Maybe some of you are too insecure to have someone disagree with you, especially a newcomer who obviously doesn't know anything. That is to say, doesn't know that this is forum your fiefdom and that you few lords of the manor are not to be contradicted. Please accept my sincerest apology my lieges.

Stop linking the definitions of words. Not only is it annoying and a waste of your time it's very patronizing (see how I didn't link the word?). Don't ask for our opinions on something if you aren't prepared for the answer.

What I've done to fix my wife's laptop is irrelevant. My point was that I own and have used Vista and had personal experience with it's problems, contrary to the ignorant suggestions of a couple of knuckleheads.

Incorrect. Some of us use Vista daily and have spent far more time than yourself working out any kinks we've encountered. Your problems sound like hardware errors, but then again, I'm just that useless guy with a massive 2,500 posts on some forum. :lol:

Moreover, what I do to fix my problem is irrelevant if (as is apparently the case if you get information form any other source beside this Microsoft-loving forum) a large percentage of users have had similar issues. At some point, it becomes obvious that the vendor has sold a product with widespread (although maybe not ubiquitous) problems. If Ford introduced a new model of car, and within days of its launch, many owners experience substantial problems, like the engine shutting off at random times while driving. If it's one or two people (or more likely 1-2% of purchasers), then I agree it wouldn't indict the model as flawed and those few owners have recourse. But, what if there are widespread reports of the same issue being experienced by 20-30% of owners? At what point would you recognize that it's not just one or two bad items in the batch as is apt to happen, but a much wider problem that indicates a serious flaw on the vendor's side?

Are you implying that 20-30% of people have problems like you do with Vista? I hope not, because that'd be a hilarious notion.

I'm sure there will be at least a few more nasty replies headed my way. I will read them and then leave. I have no interest in continuing to be part of a space where a few bullies get their kicks by pushing others around. How sad.

Nobody was bullying you. People were calling you out on your blatantly ignorant assumptions about software that you have little experience with. :lol: I'm sorry if you get offended when you are corrected by others but you sure as hell shouldn't attack back and make fun of our hobbies if you want help.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are tons of unexperienced ignorant posts on here.

I've used Vista x64 on a DAILY basis at WORK (im a Network Admin/Engineer) and only problem ive encountered, was at home. Playing Planetside, as that game doesnt have a vista patch, to resolve the issue, i ran it in compatibility mode for windows NT... and it worked fine.

Everything else has been dandy.

I've used Vista x64 on a DAILY basis at WORK (im a Network Admin/Engineer) and only problem ive encountered, was at home. Playing Planetside, as that game doesnt have a vista patch, to resolve the issue, i ran it in compatibility mode for windows NT... and it worked fine.

You mean you didn't experience a BSOD every day? :O

:P Anyway OP - I'm sticking with my original recommendation. Vista 64 bit is your best choice.

cspizz you say you came here looking for advice and help. Well that is the kind of thing boards like this are for but to receive sufficient help, you need to open your eyes and actually look at the different point of views.

And that's exactly what I came looking for, but I don't know why you expect me to appreciate your point of view if every time you give it you preface it with a derogatory comment like 'you should have done your research before complaining.' Not only is that statement rude and unnecessary, it's completely unfounded because you have no idea of the extent of my pre-purchase research. You assume I didn't do any, because I haven't drawn the same conclusion as you. That's faulty logic to say the least.

You say that you want to gather people's thoughts on Vista but you really seem determined that Vista is no good.

No, what I'm determined to do is not have my opinion dismissed out of hand and accused of things without basis. I presented an opinion obviously different than others hold and was immediately accused of having that opinion because I 'hadn't done my research' or 'only listened to idiots on the internet' or 'hadn't actually used the OS.' You all have managed to put me in the position of defending myself from my first post by accusing me of ignorance based on nothing but you own conjecture.

This style of argument is a logical flaw known as ad hominem, in which someone attempts to win an argument by discrediting the arguer rather than the logic of the argument. [i won't post a link, because I'm sure every single person here knows exactly what a[i]d hominem[/i] means.]

I already told you I had run Vista on my laptop(Dell P4 2.8 GHz 1GB RAM built 2004) which is by far much worse than your wife's laptop and it ran fine on mine, so your laptop has some serious issues with it. Also I have never gotten a BSOD on Vista other than an nVidia Vista RC2 Beta driver about 2 years ago.

And that is useful feedback. I wish you would have just said that and left out the part where you accused me of being lazy and not doing research. Why did you feel compelled to insult me at every turn?

I won't apologize to you for saying that you should actually research what you buy and to read real information on Vista before spewing false information.

What false information have I offered (or "spewed")? My opinion is not false information. My personal experience with Vista is also not false information.

And if you think what I said was rude then clearly you don't want to hear about anyone's good experience with Vista.

Again, not true. I'm happy to hear contrary views. I just don't want to be called names in every other sentence.

I also find your treating of the people on this board like idiots, patronizing.

This is the height of irony. You and your cohorts have done nothing but treat me like an ignorant fool from the begining.

Posting links to dictionary.com of words that everyone here knows the definition for is very offensive to me. Let me ask you, did you post those links because you didn't know what they meant or because you actually think the people here are stupid?

I don't think everyone here is stupid, but I also don't assume (as you have) that everyone here already knew the meaning of all the words I linked. I don't know how many ppl are here, but I do think yours is an unreasonable assumption.

I also don't hold the opinion that not knowing any of those words makes someone stupid. Obviously you do think anyone here who didn't know what they meant is stupid. I don't think that's fair. I know and use words that some people don't understand, so I linked ones I thought may be less well know so anyone reading this god-awful thread could easily look them up. (Plus, I just like linking stuff.)

I never once insulted you, at least know knowingly. I had assumed that you didn't do research, on Vista, based on your previous posts and what you said in them. I wasn't trying to insult you. Plus I never once said that you hadn't used the OS. And when it comes you the false information part that was referring to your post where you said that Vista needs 2GB of RAM to run basic functions, which is false. In all honesty I was not trying to call you stupid or ignorant.

And by linking to all those definitions you were coming off condescending. Yes maybe everyone doesn't know the meanings of all the words, but the way you came off by linking to all of them is that you had already assumed nobody did. Plus people can look it up if they aren't sure.

On other topics, there is something wrong with that laptop, it sounds like a good system and Vista should not be running like that. Have you gotten the latest Windows Updates for it? I would recommend you try reinstalling Vista on it, it could be that a system file or drive got corrupt when the factory installed it, also I would get all the latest drives from the manufacturer, it could just be a simple driver issue. Hopefully one of those fixes the issues your having. If not I would definitely contact the manufacturer to replace or fix it.

Well this has gotten entirely out of hand. The crap needs to stop. As a community we are better than all this conjecture and between the lines name calling.

Cspizz posted a valid question and deserves the proper feedback that we would give anyone coming to this community new. I have been a member here long enough to know that this type of thread should not be tolerated. Just answer his question with decentency and leave it at that.

Cspizz I understand your feelings (as I am trying to figure out whats best for me as well) and I ask that you do not let this experience ruin your time here at OCC, but at the same time please do not feel attacked. I believe it was not meant to come across that way.

Leave all the crap in the first 2 and half pages go and lets focus on helping instead of launching quips at each other. With that off my chest, I am leaning towards Windows XP 64 bit. I have a limited amount of money for an OS and I am not really sure that Vista is right for me. I am not sure I want to risk buying Vista for all the reasons Cspizz mentioned and with Windows 7 right around the corner (sort of). I keep thinking to myself, there are still issues with Vista for what ever reason and MS is already pushing Windows 7 ahead of schedule? Why would they do that? These are questions I am trying to wrestle with.

If anyone finds anything wrong with my statements above (not the XP or Vista comments) then direct your distaste my way. I am neither attacking nor defending anyone and if you feel that way then we have way bigger issues.

Enough said!!!

Edit:

I hate it when my colorful language gets corrected at the time of posting.

Edited by Fanatic

I understand that you may think the problem with your wife's laptop and whether you should get 64-bit Vista or XP 64 are completely separate issues, but when the former is affecting the latter's decision, how separate are they really?

You're right, and I get that. I only brought it up to defend myself of the accusation (or at least insinuation) that I had no experience with the OS. That experience is (as you rightly suggest) necessarily informing my opinion of the OS, but that doesn't mean my opinion is set in stone. I can be persuaded and convinced to change my opinion for good reasons, but I'm not going to do it just because someone who has been posting here for years told me I should. I'm also not going to be beaten into changing my opinion.

It has been a revelation to me that our Vista problems may be worse than others having Vista troubles. I forget off hand who mentioned that, but it's hard to find these nuggets of wisdom when they're sandwiched inside insults and attitude.

Several people here have said Vista 64 would be the way to go, yet because of the problems on your wife's laptop, you're dismissing anything we say.

My problem (beside the derision and name calling) has been a few ppl simply saying 'go with Vista.' I find that somewhat condescending--I don't make a habit of doing as I'm told. I was hoping for more reasons and comparative insights, e.g. "Vista does use more resources, but it has several features to justify the added load, such as Aero, etc. On the other hand, XP 64-bit is lighter, but will will not perform as well with X."

Trust me when I say we're not here to lead you astray; if we did so, nobody would ever stick around here.

I know that. That's why I came here. That's why I'm still here. I just wish some folks would offer their advice with brief explanation but without the PMS attitude.

The decision is ultimately up to you, but don't simply dismiss our advice because it doesn't agree with your initial beliefs.

I appreciate that, and I'm not dismissing the advice. I'm just looking for the reasoning in some cases. In other cases, I'm still looking for the advice that is buried inside a bunch of other garbage.

OFF:

In case, everybody is talking about Vista 64/32, just one ask.

Can you play games useing EAX(5.1/7.1) environment? Yesterday i insltalled WinVista32 and used CreAtive&Daniel's drivers and EAX doesn't work @ games!

thanks!

Don't ask for our opinions on something if you aren't prepared for the answer.

I'm not asking you for anything. You're the friendly chap who first bristled my skin by trying to pass off your opinion as fact, insulting me in the process. You, sir, have poor manners. For my part, I let you get to me, and I shouldn't have.

Incorrect. Some of us use Vista daily and have spent far more time than yourself working out any kinks we've encountered. Your problems sound like hardware errors, but then again, I'm just that useless guy with a massive 2,500 posts on some forum. :lol:

Please reread the text you've quoted in it's original context. I wasn't saying you weren't using Vista, I was saying that a few knuckleheads (you, I think) suggested that I had never used Vista so I explained that my wife has it. I'm sure lots of you use Vista as your main or sole OS.

Are you implying that 20-30% of people have problems like you do with Vista? I hope not, because that'd be a hilarious notion.

No, I wasn't. I was talking about a hypothetical car. The 20-30% is not an estimate for anything Vista related, it's simply a number higher than the 1-2% hypo I posed a sentence or two before. I was that somewhere between those two error rates is a line at which the product changes from normal with acceptable anticipated failures into a deeply flawed product that was not ready for public consumption.

Nobody was bullying you.

You were and have continued to do so right through this post.

People were calling you out on your blatantly ignorant assumptions about software that you have little experience with. :lol:

What assumptions? You're trying to justify your ill-manners, but the snide way you keep using " :lol: " doesn't help your case--it makes you look childish.

I'm sorry if you get offended when you are corrected by others

See that's the thing: I don't need "correcting." I asked for opinions, and they have been offered. Yours, likewise, is an opinion, but you think you are "correcting" my opinion by replacing it with your own. You seemingly have a very high opinion of yourself and your opinions. I can live without them, thanks.

...but you sure as hell shouldn't attack back and make fun of our hobbies if you want help.

Agreed, but I wasn't making fun of your hobbies; I'm here to learn some of them. I was making fun of you, but I apologize. I shouldn't have let your obnoxiousness color my responses; it just caught me off guard. I've posted in lots of forums on lots of topics and this is the first time I've had someone respond as rudely as you. Now I know what to expect.

Edited by cspizz

Thank you. That's helpful.

I don't think everyone here is stupid, but I also don't assume (as you have) that everyone here already knew the meaning of all the words I linked. I don't know how many ppl are here, but I do think yours is an unreasonable assumption.

This isn't ExpandYourVocabularyClub.com... please stop. If someone doesn't know the meaning of a word, they can look it up themselves, like everyone has been able to do since the invention of the dictionary.

Unless you bought your laptop 2nd hand, or off the back of a lorry, I fail to see why you can't just return it under warranty for a direct or alternative replacement since it has had severe issues "since day one".

If I bought a proprietary computer (a laptop) and it had problems on the FIRST DAY, and then every subsequent day, I would return it to the retailer as faulty!