Oc'ing On A Ga-x48t-dq6 With Q6600

Not necessarily. Most boards shut off right after a CMOS Change just to drain capacitors and such for a near cold boot test of the new settings Or something to that effect.

If on the other hand, you save the settings, it shuts off and stays off, then it may mean the settings didn't "click" or that they failed.

It depends, On my old 965P, the computer would reset but not turn off after CMOS changes, on my new Abit, it shuts off right after saved CMOS changes, but then turns on right away.

Does it fail to POST when this happens? Or does it just turn off quickly and then turn back on?

If you feel odd about how the computer reacts after a CMOS change you can always attempt to go right back into the CMOS and see if the settings are the same, or if they reset back to defualt.

Edited by Ste

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not necessarily. Most boards shut off right after a CMOS Change just to drain capacitors and such for a near cold boot test of the new settings Or something to that effect.

If on the other hand, you save the settings, it shuts off and stays off, then it may mean the settings didn't "click" or that they failed.

It depends, On my old 965P, the computer would reset but not turn off after CMOS changes, on my new Abit, it shuts off right after saved CMOS changes, but then turns on right away.

Does it fail to POST when this happens? Or does it just turn off quickly and then turn back on?

If you feel odd about how the computer reacts after a CMOS change you can always attempt to go right back into the CMOS and see if the settings are the same, or if they reset back to defualt.

it was coming back but the last set I changed it kept shutting off with not post. When I get home I will have to jump it and try again. Previously it was restoring until that last attempt.

Edited by InCrYsIs

Sometimes you just need to start over.

What Setting did you change last?

What voltage increments where you doing per clock?

Sometimes you just need to start over.

What Setting did you change last?

What voltage increments where you doing per clock?

I haven't gotten one thing to stick yet. I must be really off because I can't even gotten a post the last 5 times I made a change.

Here is the last thing I did that I remember

333x9

Cpu 1.375

MCH +.10

FSB +.10

8-8-8-20

Ram voltage +.10

PCI-E 100

memory multiplier 4.00A

Have you tried running your memory at exactly advertized speed, timmings and voltage?

Also, have you tried playing with the Vcore, that is start over, keep CPU speed as it is now, and every failed POST, Boot or instability raise it by one notch.

I haven't gotten one thing to stick yet. I must be really off because I can't even gotten a post the last 5 times I made a change.

Here is the last thing I did that I remember

333x9

Cpu 1.375

MCH +.10

FSB +.10

8-8-8-20

Ram voltage +.10

PCI-E 100

memory multiplier 4.00A

Try memory multiplier 2.50B, mch +.25 FSB +10 you will need more cpu vcore as you go higher. My Q600 are running at 1.5 vcore with the 1.325 VID ones running at 3.5Ghz while my better Q6600s run at 3850 and 3960 with 1.5 vcore....

Have you tried running your memory at exactly advertized speed, timmings and voltage?

Also, have you tried playing with the Vcore, that is start over, keep CPU speed as it is now, and every failed POST, Boot or instability raise it by one notch.

I have tried leaving memory on auto(it sticks itself right where the specs say 7-7-7-20 and 1333 without doing anything). Like I said I read that review on newegg saying the memory has to be 1.8v and do not leave in on 1.5 which is something I haven't done yet. I actually started the vcore out higher thinking maybe too much and worked down to 1.375. Is it likely the other voltages are the problem or are they typically okay to leave on normal? Either i am overcomplicating this or I just don't get it :)

Edited by InCrYsIs

I don't think he has told us his VID. All he said that I saw was that his current Vcore was 1.375 or something.

My VID is 1.25 and Vcore is 1.3375 for 3.6 Ghz.

http://www.tech-forums.net/pc/f10/official...-thread-162488/

InCrYsIs: the RAM voltage should be set to whatever the manufacturer specifications state for it's advertized speed, now like I said before if the speed is less than advertized then obviously you need less voltage and if the RAM is overclocked past it's rated speed then the voltage should be more.

The exact values are setup dependant, noone can tell you what they will be, you just need to have patience and experiment.

Edited by Ste

I don't think he has told us his VID. All he said that I saw was that his current Vcore was 1.375 or something.

My VID is 1.25 and Vcore is 1.3375 for 3.6 Ghz.

http://www.tech-forums.net/pc/f10/official...-thread-162488/

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3190&p=12

Here is a screenshot of the bios. Don't see a VID there. Is that the same as FSB voltage? If so I did a plus .20

VID will be listed in core temp.

VID is the defualt vcore for your specific CPU running at stock Speeds.

Edited by Ste

VID will be listed in core temp.

VID is the defualt vcore for your specific CPU running at stock Speeds.

Okay i remember seeing that. It is almost 1.25. It was like 1.249 or there about.

That is a very good VID, you should be able to get higher clocks with less voltage, but that is not certain, one need only have patience and try many different vcores and other settings.

Like I said, you should start over, I started over many times on many different setups, taking it slower each time so I didn't miss anything or jump too quickly in clocks or voltages.