More Voltage = Quicker Orthos Failure?

SMeeD

I was humming along at 3.6ghz running orthos yesterday and it failed after 20 minutes. I raise the voltage a bit and it fails after 18, then I raise the voltage to 1.44 and it fails after 5 minutes. It only gets as hot at 50C. My RAM was completely stock at 4-4-4-12 @ 2.1v. Im not really in a hurry to overclock anymore, but is there any reason its doing this?

More voltage isn't always the answer to stability.

You might want to do multiple Orthos runs to confirm it, but it would seem there is decent trend occuring.

So I shouldnt have tried 1.8v earlier today?

J/k, now that I think of it I switched from blend to small FFTs when it failed in 5 mins. I dont really see how that would change anything though, as it was still unstable at the other setting.

That would go some way to explaining it.

Different FFT sizes will tend have an effect on how soon the test fails, at least for short runs like that.

Im almost positive the 18 minute run I had was run on small FFTs... I shouldnt be so careless when it comes to my settings. But thats good to know that those settings can have an effect on my stress testing.

the problem with overclocking on 680i is that you need to adjust all the voltages to get a stable OC which is about as easy as trying to solve a 7 digit combination lock...

you might need more CPU voltage, or less, or more/less CPU VTT, more/less MCP, more/less SPP, more/less MCP<>SPP, more/less vDimm... (the 7th is the %OV :P)

there are barely any rules... just trial and error, and a massive test of patience...

the problem with overclocking on 680i is that you need to adjust all the voltages to get a stable OC which is about as easy as trying to solve a 7 digit combination lock...

you might need more CPU voltage, or less, or more/less CPU VTT, more/less MCP, more/less SPP, more/less MCP<>SPP, more/less vDimm... (the 7th is the %OV :P)

there are barely any rules... just trial and error, and a massive test of patience...

He's exactly right, its really just trial and error to the extreme with the 680i's.

/facepalm With that combination and my patience Ill never get anywhere :P I think Ill stay where Im at and leave it for another day.... or another board and CPU