Watercooling 3-way Sli "differently"

So I put together my first watercooled rig with a Coolermaster CosmosS, Intel quad Q6600 and tri-sli. Temps are about 35C-37C across the board. The Q6600 is overclocked to 3.6Ghz @ 1.325v stable. I have Black Ice II 3x120mm fan dual pass rad running at the top of the case and a dual pass single 120mm Black Ice between the CPU and the res->pump->cards loop. I have applied the pencil vdropp mod as before I did I had to run at 1.425v to compensate for the vdroop.

My question is this. As you will see in the pictures instead of running from card to card to card I split the flow 3 ways so that each card was getting fresh cool liquid instead of compiling heat. I was wondering if anyone else had tryed this or the other way and what their results were? Oh yeah and to compensate for the flow restriction caused by the y connectors I have a second pump on the other side of the card loop. Just a sidenote. I am no longer using the thermaltake reseviour I switched to a swiftech that has matching 3/8" connectors. That thermaltake thing was horrible. Made my machine sound like a fish tank.

Here are some pics: yes I know... I need to work on cable management

post-18763-1206627905_thumb.jpg

post-18763-1206627934_thumb.jpg

post-18763-1206627950_thumb.jpg

post-18763-1206627958_thumb.jpg

post-18763-1206628560_thumb.jpg

Edited by Uh8meDoncha

Thanks! :blush: I apprieciate that! Its my first wc build and I was wondering if there was anything wrong with splitting the flow like that. Seemed like a good idea but hey it could be horribly wrong and I wouldn't know. Also I wanted to keep everything inside the case so all of the fans on the rads are blowing in pulling cool air from outside across the rads. There are only 2 of them so the rear exhaust fan takes care of any heat coming in and there is a large fan on the sidepanel so the components still running on air inside the case still get a fresh blast of cool air.

Edited by Uh8meDoncha

The splitting seems like it would work in theory, and your results look pretty good temperature wise. I think without testing the same system in both configurations, it'd be hard to know which is really better. But with your temps I wouldn't complain.

What are the clear water lines for? Also, I'm amazed you're not using hose clamps on all those junctions.

The splitting seems like it would work in theory, and your results look pretty good temperature wise. I think without testing the same system in both configurations, it'd be hard to know which is really better. But with your temps I wouldn't complain.

What are the clear water lines for? Also, I'm amazed you're not using hose clamps on all those junctions.

the clear lines are extra cheapo hose I bought from the local Microcenter comp store and if you look closely you'll see the pump is actually not mounted to anything its just sitting there held upright by the hoses. Once I get more hose I am going to move it under the harddrives at the bottom right. The others are thermaltake hoses which are pretty ridged on the outside and have a super grip inner core (its chore to get them over even a 3/8 nozzle/connector) so there is no "need" for clamps. I had to clamp the clear hoses because they are a lower grade hose and actually become more maluable and swell with heat. I am going to get more thermaltake (TT) hose on monday. I tried using clamps at first on the thermaltake but sometimes the clamps would create dimple in the TT hose at the connector and they would leak so I used only use them in places that leaked without an in some cases I would have to use 2 clamps facing in opposite directions to counter the dimple effect. The pictures are a few days old and before I got the swiftech reseviour and did the double clamp thing. I'll post pictures when I get home.

Edited by Uh8meDoncha

the splits look bad to me... the problem is you have this:

splitjw4.gif

call the outs right to left, first, second and third... so the first would get half the flow and then the second and third get a quarter each... the Primary card is the most important one to keep cool, so this might work ok for you...

what are the individual idle AND load temps of each card?

nTune and RivaTuner can tell you this info...

the splits look bad to me... the problem is you have this:

splitjw4.gif

call the outs right to left, first, second and third... so the first would get half the flow and then the second and third get a quarter each... the Primary card is the most important one to keep cool, so this might work ok for you...

what are the individual idle AND load temps of each card?

nTune and RivaTuner can tell you this info...

My GPU temps are 35-37C idle and 46C-47C full load even across all cards. I have a second pump to pick up flow restriction on the other side of the cards (does that even work?). Here is a blueprint of my setup. Oh and they are overclocked at GPU:620 Shader:1500 Mem:1010 x2 effective: 2020

post-18763-1206637431_thumb.jpg

Edited by Uh8meDoncha

well if your temps are ok, that's all that matters :)

Cool... thats what I kinda figured but I wanted to make sure. Do you think the second pump makes a difference? this is off topic but do you know if there is a performance difference between distilled water + zerex vs non-conductive (oil based i.e. PC ICE)? The reason I ask is that my dw and zerex mixture seems to clouding up the houses so I was thinking I'd switch to the "oilier" PC ICE non-conductive which is clear and appearently non-toxic so I don't have to worry about my system totally draining when I'm not home and the dog licking up the sweet smelling zerex mixture. Oh and does the loop look ok?

Edited by Uh8meDoncha

looks nice to me :) I have my cards set up the normal way but I may just try the splitter thing to see i it gets me better temps, although my temps are 25c idle and 38c load for my cards, double checked with an infared thermometore, for my own piece of mind.