Overclocking New Rig

Gr4vitas

Just making this to move my old 'system build' thread to this section. Anyway I've now got my Q6600 at 3.6ghz at 1.37v in bios. Ram is at 4-4-4-12 at 2.2v and 800mghz. Overall I'm extremely pleased with this OC considering I'm on air. Anyway I'm trying to get my ram to go to 1000mghz but the only way to do that is to change the divider to like 1:1.5 and anytime I change my divider off of 1:1 my system won't boot past like 350 fsb. But if I leave it on 1:1 as long as I supply my cpu with more juice it just keeps going. If I had water or a phase change i'm confident I could get this to 4ghz+. Anyway does anyone have some suggestions as how to get my ram to 1000 while keeping my 3.6ghz Oc?

intenseocnuckaao9.th.jpg

Edited by pogs16a2

Alright so I was able to get my ram up to 1000ghz but I had to bring the timings up to 5-5-5-15 in order to do it. However despite the loser timings I scored just a tad higher in my benchmarks with the higher fsb and loser timings then with the 800mghz and tighter 4-4-4-12 timings. Anyway I brought my ram volts up to 2.3 from 2.2v stock. And I think that if I raise my ram volts a little more I might be able to get 1000mghz at 4-4-4-12 timings. However what I'm wondering is what a safe voltage would be to go to. I don't know much about what is high or low for ram. Stock this Crucial Ballistix runs at 2.2v and 800mghz as seen here anyway if anyone has some advice on a safe highest voltage to run my ram at let me know.

Edited by Gr4vitas

The Ballistix might just do 4-4-4-12 at 1000, that's what you need to test ;) There's no definitive answer, you just gotta test it :)

Well thats what I'm hoping, but what I'm asking is what kind of volts are safe? It's stock 2.2v like I said but I don't know how high I can bring that while being safe. If I can bring it to a much higher volt than that could solve my problem and get me 4-4-4-12 at 1000 which is what I'm trying to do, but I dont know if I should / could bring my volts past like 2.3v for my ram?

Just go with 2.2 for now, maybe increase to 2.3 later? I had some A-Data Value sticks running 24/7 folding load @ 2.35Vs with a small 80mm fan on them :)

Thats just the problem, at 2.2v I can't seam to get them to 4-4-4-12 at 1000 and I don't know if bringing up my volts will help at all. Otherwise I have no idea how to get past this wall. I'm happy with my cpu at 3.6ghz considering im on air, but I REALLY want to get this ram running at 4-4-4-12 and 1000 or close to 1000 I'm just out of ideas.

Seams like there isn't anything I can do to keep my ram at 1000 and tighten the timings. Everything just makes it unstable. I tried 5-5-5-12 and still unstable. only thing that works is 5-5-5-15 at 1000 and cpu at 400 x9. Runs nicely at this OC but I just want to get a tiny bit more out of it. Still trying stuff.