8800GT + Accelero S1

jammin

Jack, you are one crazy mofo :lol:

I just like silence, that's all! No harm in that, surely? I really can't wait for SSD's to come in fat sizes. One hard disk spinning is fine, but two is really grating now. Most people would probably love a system this quiet, but it drives me nuts. <_<

Tell me about it.

I no longer have HDD (apart from seek) or GFX fan noise to worry about, but I'm going to have to take these Nexus fans down from 12v soon.

Sounds like a plan. Even the Nexus at 7v was annoying for me, though I am a bit picky. They seemed happier at 12v with a less irritating 'buzz' but more audible, while 7v was very annoying for me :( Possibly my case, but fine without them regardless.

Did you progress with any overclocking this evening?

There's nothing wrong with silence, I absolutely agree with you on that part. I tried to keep my system as quiet as possible, but then again that never worked out with my hardware wants :P

X1950Pro = turbine until I switched the cooler to an Accelero X2

2900XT = turbine all the time (not nearly as bad, but still annoying)

Enermax PSU = 1x80 and 1x92 fan, therefore not necessarily quiet although you could turn it down

Q6600 OCed = have to put a decent CFM fan on the U-120X, therefore not that much quiet there

Overall, the system was quite loud in comparison to some of the prebuilts that my friends have, but then again those tend to get real loud when put under load. Mine was 100% CPU load 24/7 for folding :)

If I ever build a next rig, it'll be MUCH quieter!

I have the XFX 8800GT and I used the S1 with a Noctua 120mm fan and the thing is silent. My idle temp is 41 and load after playing Crysis it hit 50's.

I put two more Noctua fans in, one 120mm in my Tuniq 120 along with swapping the NB fan on mt XFX 680i Sli LT with the Thermalright SLI/IFX and putting a 80mm there. One the SB I put the Enzotech copper passive heatsink.

CPU idle temp is 30-32, system is 32-33.

Next step is to swap my system fans with some Noctua's. My Vantec Stealth fans in the case are the ones I hear now. It is pretty darn quiet, but I think with a whole unit with Noctua will be pretty quiet.

So will end up with nice and quiet and nice and cool B:)

E4500 2.2 at 3.01 OC 1.37v

Mobo - XFX 680i Sli LT

OCZ Sli Ready 6400 DDR2 - 4-4-4-15-1T

Tuniq 120 HSF

Thermaltake Tsunami Case

CoolerMaster 650W

XFX 8800GT 640/980 - OC 680/1000

3DDMark06 - 12186

OK, finally got around to sticking the Vantec Stealth on the S1.

IMG_9685.jpg

I have the Stealth on a Zalman Fanmate 2 and at the lowest setting it is acceptably quiet (for me anyway). A bit irritating a full speed, but then when gaming that won't be noticable either. :)

Idle temps are down to 38/39c and after a quick run of rthdribl, temps stabilised at 46c.

Clip_2-1.jpg

I'll throw some Crysis at it later on, which will likely send temps a bit higher (got to around 60c running passively). Looking good though.

Edited by jammin

I might get some of these to shut up my 7800GTs and X1950Pro... I haven't ran stock air for ages and these single slot hs/f things are horrible... one of my 7800GTs even growls in a strange Dambusters way at low duty cycle... arg

Where'd you get yours from?