Ballistix Tracer vs. Regular Ballistix PC2 6400

While I wait for my Munchkin XP RMA to get rolling, I thought I might grab some of these to tide me over while I wait, and just to have some DDR2 backup.

I'm looking at Ballistix Tracer, and what appears to be the same stuff without the fancy-shmancy LED lights. So is it just the lights and heatspreaders that are different? These should both be Micron D9 chips, yes?

Or if anyone has a better suggestion, fire away.

These are pretty good for hold-me-over ram. they most likely contain the micron d9's, although they may have promos on there too

and from what ive seen here they OC pretty good, kingdingeling has a set maybe he can give some more input on that though.

Your alive! :P

Yeah, they should be the same. Interesting that the tracers are priced lower than the ballistix.

DDR2 800 rated at 4-4-4-12-21 with 2.2v is usually D9. They'll do DDR2 1000 at 5-5-5-15-30 with 2.2v easy, most likely more... They're pretty flexible chips.

Edited by The Unforgivin

Your alive! :P

Yeah, they should be the same. Interesting that the tracers are priced lower than the ballistix.

DDR2 800 rated at 4-4-4-12-21 with 2.2v is usually D9. They'll do DDR2 1000 at 5-5-5-15-30 with 2.2v easy, most likely more... They're pretty flexible chips.

Yeah I'm still around here now and then. B:) Alright, I'm probably gonna snag the regular Ballistix.

I have the Tracers, the LED's look cool if you're into blinking red and yellow lights.

I got nothing against cool lights, but it's one more thing for me to break. :lol: My rig isn't exactly a show pony these days anyway. The sides and front have been off for six months. :O

I picked up the regular PC2-6400 Ballistix recently for one of my systems, and I have been loving their overclocking potential. At 50 bucks for a D9 chip, its hard to go wrong. They run rock solid at over 1000.

Edited by pp3rkut

• 2 weeks later...
What?! Six days? :O That's insane, were you running them at DDR1 voltages? :lol:

You would think I gave them 3v the way they went "ballistix" on me. :lol: I never pushed them past spec (2.2) though. I shook my mouse to wake up my monitor and the screen was black. Rebooted to a C1 error. Pulled one stick and got it to boot to a BSOD. Got it to boot with both sticks, got a BSOD in 5 minutes. Reboot to a series of catastrophic BSODs. All the old favorites were there: irq-not-less-or-equal, page fault in non-paged area.....well, you know the drill. After scaling it down to stock speeds, clearing CMOS, even massively underclocking it made no difference, I fired off an email to the egg.

Oh well, at least when all this gets cleared up, I'll have an abundance of soon-to-be-obsolete DDR2. :lol::O