GeForce 8800GTX Extreme 768MB to hot ?

tileman

Hi guys

About 6 months ago I built a new pc heres a list of whats in there . MB asus p5w dh deluxe Ram is Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 hard drive WD 150 gb 10,000 rpm.

Video card is XFX PVT80FSHE9 GeForce 8800GTX Extreme 768MB 384-bit. Runing windows XP MY cpu is a intel core 2 duo 2.4 ghz .

I have a Coolermaster case with 2 intake fans front 1 top fan / 1 rear fan . Every thing had been running fine till about one week ago and only in UT 3 :blink: In some games in heavy fighting the game will shut down to a black screen I can still hear the sounds in the game just no pic have to reboot the pc and start over again out of like 30 games it's done it maybe 8 times. :angry2:

I have been running pc probe and after the pc is on for maybe a hour or so my CPU is around 80 f MB temp 95 f GPU is 147 f

Now after a about 4 games of UT 3 CPU is 88 f to 90 f MB 98 f to 105 f and GPU is 176 f. I have cleaned out my case from the dust bunnys and such.

But I have no air at all coming out of the back of my video card the fan is working just no air out the back .

I just would like to know if this is a heat issue. I did get a screen once that said Bad_ Pool_ Header.

Thanks for any help.

Ron.

you'll probably get a lot more answers if you put the temperatures in Celcius as that's what everyone uses to measure computer temperatures

if you don't know how to convert:

Celsius = (Fahrenheit - 32) / 1.8

Or just use google to convert it for you :P

In any case, 80C isn't bad for a GPU. GPU's run much hotter than CPU's....and your CPU temps are fine. I would test your memory.

I will give my memory a test

Thanks.

I didn't quite catch the fan configuration you had there, was that two front intake fans and two exaust fans (one rear one top)?

I have two in the front air in. One in the back air out. And one on top air out.

So a total of four fan in all

Ron.

you are fine.

I'm running pretty low temps and they are: CPU @ 29C = 84F, Sys @ 35C = 95F

If i'm correct, you should start worrying once you get over 60C to your CPU.

how is your processor cooler than your case? are you running TEC or something?

as the others have said, 80c is fine. sure, cooler is better, but it's not awful. i believe the 8800 series have handling capabilities of over 100c, hoewver i'd never let them get near that high. my recommendations would be to throw some better thermal paste on there than what came stock, or get a nice aftermarket cooler for it. although, the stock cooling for these guys are pretty good.

Let's just say: Thanks to some handy guides from OCC I modded my case to have HUGE air flow ;) THANKS OCC!!!

Scythe SCINF-1000 120mm CPU Cooler is cooling off my CPU, plus I'm running 3 x AeroCool Aerolite BB 80mm, and on top i added (thx again for the guide OCC) Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F 120mm Case Fan. the front fans and top fan are controlled by Sunbeam RHK-S Rheobus 20W Fan Controller, so that I can make it quiet (but system temp is higher).

I don't know if it's just me, but I think the GPU sounds a little hot at 80C with all that cooling in there. I know the 8800 uses alot more power than mine, and mine only top out at about 70C, after intense gaming.

You could try taking the door off your case and blowing a room fan in there, that can help you figure out if it's a cooling problem.

Try the memory test like the other members have said, that sounds like a reasonable guess, be sure to let us know what the results of that show.

I don't know if it's just me, but I think the GPU sounds a little hot at 80C with all that cooling in there. I know the 8800 uses alot more power than mine, and mine only top out at about 70C, after intense gaming.

You could try taking the door off your case and blowing a room fan in there, that can help you figure out if it's a cooling problem.

Try the memory test like the other members have said, that sounds like a reasonable guess, be sure to let us know what the results of that show.

I think there was a bit of a mixup between C & F. Look at the original post:

I have been running pc probe and after the pc is on for maybe a hour or so my CPU is around 80 f MB temp 95 f GPU is 147 f

Now after a about 4 games of UT 3 CPU is 88 f to 90 f MB 98 f to 105 f and GPU is 176 f. I have cleaned out my case from the dust bunnys and such.

The OP quoted everything in f ... although I guess GPU @ 176f would be +/- 80C.

That is a bit hot ... I would consider some additional cooling for your GPU as it might be area of your case that has no airflow.