Am I doin it rite?

squares

Hi guys I have just tried a tiny overclock on my computer (very first one yay!) so anyways, I changed the FSB to 290 instead of 270, and left the core voltage alone, also I changed my ram timings to 4-4-4-12 @ 2.0 volts. At first the it wouldn't start with 1.8v until I upped it to 2.0, I see that a lot of people run it at 2.1 or 2.2, should I up my voltage more? I stressed it w/ prime95 and superpi, everything seems ok. Is there anything I left out, or something I did wrong. Also what is the command rate, I've read a little bit about it but it still confuses me. Thanks. :)

seems ok....but did you move the memory divider's or is it now overclocked as well? and leave the command rate at 2T as you probably wont be able to get it down to 1.

as for doing it right..sure just as long as the memory isnt being accidentally overclocked. nd your testing seems fine, you should be able to see when it is reaching it's limits (through crashes etc) and then you can fine tune it to something that is properly stable

Edited by Comp Dude2

Humm... everything seemed ok until I went to play some games, TF2 and COD4 was choppy. I tried the 4-4-4-12 with all kinds of diff voltages, but team fortress was still choppy, then I went back to 5-5-5-18 and it was fine again, what am I doing wrong? Also cant seem to get memtest to work from a usb. Sorry for all the problems.

Edited by squares

Humm... everything seemed ok until I went to play some games, TF2 and COD4 was choppy. I tried the 4-4-4-12 with all kinds of diff voltages, but team fortress was still choppy, then I went back to 5-5-5-18 and it was fine again, what am I doing wrong? Also cant seem to get memtest to work from a usb. Sorry for all the problems.

If you are seeing bad results in games since your o/c then it isnt satisfactory so from the info that you have supplied and this is your ram (Crucial Ballistix Tracer PC2-6400 2GB 2X1GB DDR2-800 CL4-4-4-12 240PIN Dual Channel Kit) then as you can see it should be running at -4-4-4-12 and not 5-5-5--15

this leads me to assume that you have also oc your ram and at the given voltages you have told us it wont run. So (breathes in) in the bios you need to set a divider to bring the ram back down to the 6400 mark and not the 7200 mark that you may be near and then it should run with the 4-4-4-12 timings and your cpu oc will still be the same.

Regards demonoid

Aslo in order for ballistix to run tighter timmings at higher speeds you'll need to move in closer to its rated 2.3v. Though mine "prefers" something around the 2.25v mark when shooting for tight timmings yours as with all things in the OC world WILL not be identical. Personally I usualy set ballistix to 2.0v and then OC what i can and start bumping voltage one step at a time to keep it stale. A good quick ram check is a super PI 1M run, I use it to find a quick max speed, then increase to 32M run and once I back it down to 32M stable I move to more memory intensive tests that take longer to work out the "details"

The real joy of OCing comes form achieving these more difficult speeds rather than kicking the FSB up and stoping when it craps out. Have fun :) THis reminds me I need to up my new toy's (Celeron 420 1.6 i got for free) OC from it's current 2.66Ghz before i go to work, 8 hrs OCCT stable atm, so what the heck right :)

Aslo in order for ballistix to run tighter timmings at higher speeds you'll need to move in closer to its rated 2.3v. Though mine "prefers" something around the 2.25v mark when shooting for tight timmings yours as with all things in the OC world WILL not be identical. Personally I usualy set ballistix to 2.0v and then OC what i can and start bumping voltage one step at a time to keep it stale. A good quick ram check is a super PI 1M run, I use it to find a quick max speed, then increase to 32M run and once I back it down to 32M stable I move to more memory intensive tests that take longer to work out the "details"

The real joy of OCing comes form achieving these more difficult speeds rather than kicking the FSB up and stoping when it craps out. Have fun :) THis reminds me I need to up my new toy's (Celeron 420 1.6 i got for free) OC from it's current 2.66Ghz before i go to work, 8 hrs OCCT stable atm, so what the heck right :)

I guess i'll play with the voltages, since I changed my ram ratios so it wasn't overclocked. And I unclocked the cpu with the changed ram timings, it was still shakey, so i'll change the voltages around. Thanks for the responses guys.