Bus speeds versus low or high multiplier?

Systemlord

I have wondered about this for sometime but never really got around to asking the question, so here I am finely asking. There are a few ways to reach 3.2GHz, one way is @ 400x8, the second way is @ 466x7 both = 3.2GHz but one has the FSB higher than the other and the other has the higher multiplier, so which is the better one?

On another note (A) one has more memory bandwidth, (B) the other one has what a higher multiplier? Ok I am confused here! :unsure:

Have a happy holiday members. :) Systemlord

This question really depends on your RAM timings :) If those Ballistix can run 466 @ decent timings (as in, 4-4-4-12 or something like that), then I'd go with that. It's usually a little bit better performance with higher FSBs. 400x8 just has the convenience of not needing to overclock your RAM, I was running that on my E6400 ;)

This question really depends on your RAM timings :) If those Ballistix can run 466 @ decent timings (as in, 4-4-4-12 or something like that), then I'd go with that. It's usually a little bit better performance with higher FSBs. 400x8 just has the convenience of not needing to overclock your RAM, I was running that on my E6400 ;)

My Ballistix can do 3-3-3-8 800MHz @ 2.2 volt or 5-5-5-15 1200MHz @ 2.2 volts. CAS 3 doesn't seem to do much for performance which is strange. These X38's were designed to run at higher latency DDR3 speeds, my old Asus P5B Deluxe could go low in nano seconds on the Ram at CAS 3.

this is what benchmarks are for, comparing performance...

higher bus speed gives higher performance, but the resulting dividers and ram speed/timings can result in worse performance... so bench, compare, conclude...

this is what benchmarks are for, comparing performance...

higher bus speed gives higher performance, but the resulting dividers and ram speed/timings can result in worse performance... so bench, compare, conclude...

What else is out the besides Everest and 3DMack06 as far as CPU based benchmarking? These are the only two that I know of.