Safe mode = computer problems

Newport

Few weeks ago, i booted up my notebook in safe mode to run some virus software. As the computer booted up, explorer.exe failed to start up. So i opened task manager and tried to start explorer that way. The desktop would flash for a second or two and then it would disappear while an error window would flash once for a fraction of a second. I restarted into normal mode after several failed attempts at booting explorer. When i started the comp up in normal mode, i realized that i had lost all sound except for the error beep that one might hear after holding down a key for too long. Also, there are no icons in the wireless connections window. When i try to run ipconfig /renew, an error message says that i need to turn on internet connections. But here is the catch, i am posting from this problematic notebook right now. When it first starts up, it picks up the wireless connection from the house but if it were to loose the connection, i have no way of reconnecting unless i restart the computer. Also, none of the USB ports are recognized. (web cam wont be picked up when plugged in.) Also, the Windows XP theme has been replaced by the standard Windows 2000 theme and there are no other options in the windows customization window. And lastly, nothing shows up in the device manager window. I attached a picture showing a few of the symptoms listed above. Any help would be awesome. If i left anything out, ask and i'll answer. :blink:

error1.jpg

perhaps you have picked up something from limewire. Sounds like an virus or something to me.

I thought so too but i hardly ever use Limewire anymore. In fact, i have not opened it in many many months. And the .exe file for it is never active. Can something still be active causing something to be downloaded?

Hey Newport, long time no see... how's Hunter? :lol:

lol, had to be asked... :P

I'd run anti-virus, anti-spyware, anti-rootkit, and maybe a couple of other things... if nothing showed up I'd run a Windows Repair...

Hey Newport, long time no see... how's Hunter? :lol:

lol, had to be asked... :P

I'd run anti-virus, anti-spyware, anti-rootkit, and maybe a couple of other things... if nothing showed up I'd run a Windows Repair...

I see OCC has not wised up and kicked your foreign butt outta here yet. <_< lol

I lost my windows repair CD when i moved (for the third freakin time this year) so i guess thats outta the question :(

Thanks for the ideas!

do you still have your XP serial number? if not, you can look it up in the Registry somehow (google for that)...

then you can use ANY XP cd (well, the same version, home, pro, service packs, etc) and *your* serial number if it requires you to enter it...

do you still have your XP serial number? if not, you can look it up in the Registry somehow (google for that)...

then you can use ANY XP cd (well, the same version, home, pro, service packs, etc) and *your* serial number if it requires you to enter it...

Keyfinder

Thanks a million! I will give it a try first thing in the morning.

On a side note... It looks as though i have a random computer out there in cyberspace that is still folding. haha. I blew up my last notebook from folding 24/7... Overheated and melted the solder points where the power cord plugs in. :rolleyes: