lapping

philbrown23

Now I have read the How to's on lapping your heatsinks and am in the process of doing so but I was wondering if it is a good idea to lap your cpu? one would think so seeing how it is not by any means flat but wanted to ask before doing.

Yes, you can lap the IHS as well. A lot of people do it on the C2Ds, but most people did not do it much on the A64 chips. The reason is that most people that wanted to go that far actually just removed the IHS completely on those chips. You should check out hardnrg's guide. I've done it to two of my chips now.

But if that's a bit much for you, then lapping it would be another good option.

Yes, you can lap the IHS as well. A lot of people do it on the C2Ds, but most people did not do it much on the A64 chips. The reason is that most people that wanted to go that far actually just removed the IHS completely on those chips. You should check out hardnrg's guide. I've done it to two of my chips now.

But if that's a bit much for you, then lapping it would be another good option.

Thanks! that was really helpful, though when I tried to watch the video all that came up was a techno song but eh, what can ya do; I am pretty sure I got it. I'm going to try on my old 478 intel first though.

You really don't need to lap the IHS, unless you're trying to set records or something, but if you do, remember to work through the grades and don't go over the top - only do it until all the top has *just* gone.

the video was encoded with DivX 5... so download and install the latest codec from http://www.divx.com (DivX 6 support all previous)

DivX and XviD are widely used, you should install both

Well I did it to my old 478 and it was sucessful, si I'll probably do it to 64x2 next time I pull the pc apart(wich will be soon seeing how I'm getting a new gpu)