Will not change vcore?

I've been trying to overclock my AM2 4800 tonight and right now i have it running stable at 2.8. i kept adding to the fsb and i left the multiplier alone because for some reason whenever i try to make it something other then 12.5 it wont boot and i have to reset the cmos. anyway its at 2.8 right now so i went in to the bios but this time i tried to up the voltage. it runs stock at 1.3v so i tried to make it 1.325 which was the next settin in my bios but when it boots up and i go into cpu-z it still says 1.3v and so does the bios. is there a reason why it wont let me change this??? my cpu overclocked to 2.8 very easily so i kno i could hit 3 if i could just up the voltage because i'm only runnin like 45C with my zalman keeping it cool. any help would be appreciated. Thanks again guys.

on the 939 platform you have to also increase the CPU Voltage Multiplier... sometimes it's a %age like 104%, 108%, 110% etc, sometimes it's an offset like +0.1v, +0.2v, etc

you have to set a Voltage Multiplier or Offset as well as setting the CPU VID in order to increase the vCore on 939, so I'd imagine the same is true for AM2, so try the first additional Voltage control in addition to increasing the VID :)

on the 939 platform you have to also increase the CPU Voltage Multiplier... sometimes it's a %age like 104%, 108%, 110% etc, sometimes it's an offset like +0.1v, +0.2v, etc

Uh, what?

How it's changed depends entirely upon what board you use. Some use a multiplier, some use an offset, some directly select the voltage (like mine).

OP - CPU-Z might not be reading the vcore correctly. Check in the BIOS what the vcore is on the health page for both the stock and the overvolted setting. It's quite possible that the board just undervolts the CPU a little bit at stock. :)

Uh, what?

On most boards, you can't increase the vCore as much as you should if you don't use a voltage modifier, like, on the MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum (NF3) and DFI NF4 Lanparty (NF4) series, if you don't use the %age modifier, you might not even top 1.5v

It's a strange quirk... maybe it doesn't apply to all NF3 and NF4 boards... but it's something that had me baffled on the MSI board for a while, so I thought I might suggest it as a possiblity if simply increasing the vCore still doesn't have any (or much of an) effect

On most boards, you can't increase the vCore as much as you should if you don't use a voltage modifier, like, on the MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum (NF3) and DFI NF4 Lanparty (NF4) series, if you don't use the %age modifier, you might not even top 1.5v

It's a strange quirk... maybe it doesn't apply to all NF3 and NF4 boards... but it's something that had me baffled on the MSI board for a while, so I thought I might suggest it as a possiblity if simply increasing the vCore still doesn't have any (or much of an) effect

Of the five 939 boards I've had (two of them being NF4, one ATI, two VIA) all of them simply directly set the vcore. :shrug:

yeah i'll try that when i get home. i cant remember seeing a multiplier but i'll check. im using abit's fatality 590sli board if that helps at all

Check the vcore before/after your changes in the BIOS too. Like I posted above it could just be undervolting slightly.

DFI did the percentage stuff in their BIOS, I have yet to find another board with it ;) As nrg says, the Neo2 Platinum has it, but other than that... can't think of anything

My 939 has a straight vcore volyage no % either.but as for why you do not see a change is beyond me because mine shanges and cpu-z reads it. but like they said up a few spots maybe they have it a little undervolted at stock because I had that with my last cpu that I had.