just oc'd my new system

philbrown23

Very old article but here is what I found:

Overclocking

With very little effort and even less drama, I was able to get the X2 3800+ running stable at 2.4GHz by setting the HyperTransport clock to 240MHz. The Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe mobo on our test system was giving the X2 3800+ about 1.31V by default. I turned that up to 1.3375V, backed the HyperTransport multiplier down to 3X, and the X2 3800+ seemed quite happy.

Now, that's a sweet overclock all by itself, but hitting 2.4GHz has the added benefit of bringing everything into line. When the memory clock is set to the proper divider for DDR333 operation and the HyperTransport clock is raised to 240MHz, the memory actually runs at 400MHz even. Lock down the PCI and PCI-E bus speeds using the motherboard's BIOS, and you're running virtually everything but the CPU and HyperTransport link at stock speeds. I was able to leave the RAM timings at 2-2-2-5, nice and tight. This is the sort of overclock I could live with for everyday use.

With a little more coaxing, I managed to get the X2 3800+ running at 2.5GHz long enough to record benchmark scores, but I had to back off of the memory timings a little bit in order to do it. Here's how it performed.

Link to the page but not much more info there X2 3800+ running stable at 2.4GHz

I know it isn't much, Good Luck

Found some more info with looser timings on the ram:

For the best performance I was able to achieve, I ran the processor at 1.5V, the memory at 2.7V with 2.5-4-4-8-2T timings. I reduced the HT multiplier to 3x, and increased the FSB clock to 310MHz with a multiplier of 8. This resulted in a 2480MHz core clock speed, 930MHz HT speed, and 310MHz (DDR620) memory speed. Linkage to Article AMD Athlon 64 3800+ X2 Review

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE GOOD COOLING and check cpu temps when jacking up cpu volts!

I haven't had any experience with AMDs in awhile so I Can't give you a hands on with it.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very old article but here is what I found:

Overclocking

With very little effort and even less drama, I was able to get the X2 3800+ running stable at 2.4GHz by setting the HyperTransport clock to 240MHz. The Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe mobo on our test system was giving the X2 3800+ about 1.31V by default. I turned that up to 1.3375V, backed the HyperTransport multiplier down to 3X, and the X2 3800+ seemed quite happy.

Now, that's a sweet overclock all by itself, but hitting 2.4GHz has the added benefit of bringing everything into line. When the memory clock is set to the proper divider for DDR333 operation and the HyperTransport clock is raised to 240MHz, the memory actually runs at 400MHz even. Lock down the PCI and PCI-E bus speeds using the motherboard's BIOS, and you're running virtually everything but the CPU and HyperTransport link at stock speeds. I was able to leave the RAM timings at 2-2-2-5, nice and tight. This is the sort of overclock I could live with for everyday use.

With a little more coaxing, I managed to get the X2 3800+ running at 2.5GHz long enough to record benchmark scores, but I had to back off of the memory timings a little bit in order to do it. Here's how it performed.

Link to the page but not much more info there X2 3800+ running stable at 2.4GHz

I know it isn't much, Good Luck

Found some more info with looser timings on the ram:

For the best performance I was able to achieve, I ran the processor at 1.5V, the memory at 2.7V with 2.5-4-4-8-2T timings. I reduced the HT multiplier to 3x, and increased the FSB clock to 310MHz with a multiplier of 8. This resulted in a 2480MHz core clock speed, 930MHz HT speed, and 310MHz (DDR620) memory speed. Linkage to Article AMD Athlon 64 3800+ X2 Review

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE GOOD COOLING and check cpu temps when jacking up cpu volts!

I haven't had any experience with AMDs in awhile so I Can't give you a hands on with it.

Ok I alreadt read all that but I obviously had to read it again.... I ran prime 95 with no errors and guess what.... NO blue screen!!!! it's not a huge oc but I want to take baby steps .

how long did you run prime95 for? Depending on how important stability is to you, I would reccomend running it for 24 hours to test. But don't do that for every little increment, just once you think you found a setting you want to keep. Oh and how far did you get it up to so far?

how long did you run prime95 for? Depending on how important stability is to you, I would reccomend running it for 24 hours to test. But don't do that for every little increment, just once you think you found a setting you want to keep. Oh and how far did you get it up to so far?

I ran prime95 for about 35 minutes with no errors or shut downs. I have it clocked right now at 2.2ghz witch isn't huge but it started at 2.0ghz

the average OC for X2 3800+ is like 2.7 - 2.9 GHz... I'd say you have some settings set wrong in BIOS if you are not able to run it at this speed on watercooling

if you have a camera:

• take pictures of all the CPU/RAM relevant settings in BIOS, if in doubt, take pictures of ALL screens, and make sure you scroll down on pages that can scroll, and enter submenus for things like DRAM Configuration
  • resize the pictures to 800x600, you don't need 5 megapixel photos of your bios lol, just big enough so that all the text is legible

if you don't have a camera:

• get a pen and paper and write down the settings

then, in either case, post your BIOS settings here in either photo form, or in text

I'd be willing to bet money that you haven't set the HTT Multi to something other than Default or 5x, and also haven't tried setting your memory on a lower divider

If he hasnt changed setting to 3 he didnt read the articles I posted to well :/ Both said to change to 3. When he said stable(even tho only 30 mins) I thought he had got to 2.5ghz or something. Shrug

When all else fails, TAKE A HAMMER TO IT! 16.gif

the average OC for X2 3800+ is like 2.7 - 2.9 GHz... I'd say you have some settings set wrong in BIOS if you are not able to run it at this speed on watercooling

On the 939 version? I didn't think they were much above a 2.5 GHz average OC.

Also - I doubt he's running two instances of Prime95. Perhaps we should point newbies to Orthos instead?

On the 939 version? I don't think they were much above a 2.5 GHz average OC.

The early ones were doing about 2.5. Some of the later ones were approaching, and occasionally even reaching, 3Ghz.

Also - I doubt he's running two instances of Prime95. Perhaps we should point newbies to Orthos instead?

OCCT

On the 939 version? I didn't think they were much above a 2.5 GHz average OC.

well the results from the 939 oc thread here are all above 2.75 GHz, including dual prime 24hr

at the FiringSquad the average is 2.615 GHz

at Guru3D it's 2.724 GHz

at XS it's 2.854 GHz

another list at XS shows 2.86 GHz

so yeah, I say 2.7 - 2.9... unless you get really unlucky or have weak supporting hardware

well the results from the 939 oc thread here are all above 2.75 GHz, including dual prime 24hr

at the FiringSquad the average is 2.615 GHz

at Guru3D it's 2.724 GHz

at XS it's 2.854 GHz

another list at XS shows 2.86 GHz

so yeah, I say 2.7 - 2.9... unless you get really unlucky or have weak supporting hardware

Well poo.

My Opty 175 is one of the crappy ones. Core 1 is good up past 3 GHz, core 0 won't take anything over 2.6 Ghz. :(

Well poo.

My Opty 175 is one of the crappy ones. Core 1 is good up past 3 GHz, core 0 won't take anything over 2.6 Ghz. :(

I had my voltage set too high so it was a little unstable when I got it to 2.399ghz but I figured out that stock voltage will take me to at least that. any way I will take some pics for you guys to check out, but how do I resize??? Alo my htt will not go above 5x but that is what it is set on aand alos my ram is set on 333 instead of 400 and it runs alot more stableI just went from vista to xp and now there isn't such a huge load on my pc so it runs a little cooler to.