help i think my processer melted down

can someone tell me if a processer will still get hot if it is bad

i had a little problem with overclocking it. it  wont post on 2 different m/b set up with all different stuff and also i have a 1.6 athlon xp i can usually overclock it to 145 mhz fsb and this time i had t under clocked to a 1200 at 100 mhz fsb and this time i went from 100 to 145 could this explode it

Im not sure If I understood that well..

I am getting ready for work.. but here goes some answares..

All processers will get hot.. even if they are a good chip..

Your Processer.. you said you had to underclock it..

well if it worked.. then your CPU is not fryed..

I would have to say you need more cooling in your case or on the processer..

Im not sure but you made it sound like you have to processers.. the one wont work at all? right?

is this faster or slower then the 1.6 athlon?

Like i said before its proably just a cooling problem..

underclock this processer to see if it will work..

maybe try dropping the voltage a bit also..

ttyl

no i was just messing around benchmarking my 1.6 @1200 just to see how much faster it was the a 1.2 but now it will get warm but it will not post i tried to clear cmos tried 2 diffrent mobo setups with totaly differnt parts but no post it just sits there getting warm and i cant get to cmos to change anyhthing

• 1 month later...

You may have chipped or cracked the core. Sometimes they'll work underclocked. But, if it's the BSOD (BLACK screen o' death)...it's screwed. Check it for chips or cracks.

BRUNO

it is actually chipped but it still worked for along time with the chip in it. can just overclocking chip a processor or does a person have to do something wrong to make it chip?

the monitor wouldnt come on the board wouldnt post i used a diffrent mobo and everything on the kr7a worked on the other board but the processor but i did that after i posted this

• 3 weeks later...