Making Your Own Wap

I've seen people use old computers as routers and firewalls and I got to thinking. Is it possible to make use an old computer as a wireless access point or just to make one from other parts?

yes and no

you can do it but you can only do peer to peer you would not be able to use it as a wap unless u were to set up a proxy on your network. i have sceen it done but only peer to peer.

OK I think I found some software that lets you turn any computer into a WAP but there was so much stuff that I had to read through that I sort of got lossed in all the techie stuff so you Geeks out there and I mean that in a good way might be able to tell me if this is what I would need to make a WAP. here is the part where it said that a comp can be turned into a WAP.

Boot the CD to turn a laptop or desktop machine into a wireless access point, use just to access your own DSL connection wirelessly.

Boot the CD to test if you are within range of an existing mesh network.

Boot the CD to start providing a cell sharing your local bandwidth with your neighbours.

Get your neighbour to boot the CD to share your bandwidth with his neighbours (repeat as necessary!)

Boot the CD to form a multi-hop wireless cloud, which can be used for file-sharing, multi-player games or audio conferencing.

the rest of the article is right here. Edited by mxrider623

that doesnt turn your computer into a wap all that article explains is about a software program that this guy created so that anybody that is already on a wireless network or on a regular network can easily join a network with predetermined specifications. It just simplifies the process of getting a lot of people onto one big network.

Search elsewhere.

but you can extend the range of a wireless network with that software by booting a CD that you burn from an ISO that they have and you put a wireless network card in your computer and it allows other people to connect to it so that you can share it over a wide range so couldn't you just put a wired and wireless nic in it and use it that way?

now that i think about it, it sounds possible, but wireless nics arent really made to transmit data over a distance they made to receive data over a distance, but you never know. id say save yourself the trouble and buy a wap.

well since I have a router already I don't really want to spend a 100 bucks to buy a WAP so I thought it would be cheaper to just buy 2 NICs and put them in one of my old computers. and that software was designed to send data because it allows you to share a wireless connection without having to get big antennas and stuff. and there is some other software base on the same Linux kernal that this one is and it allows you to have multiple NIC's to make your own router in case I have conflicts with having the 2 in the same system. I think I'll just E-Mail the guy that made the software and ask him how hard it would be to do or if it is even possible. :)

i didnt say that the software wasnt designed to send data i said wireless nics arent designed to handle that much data throughput. the reason waps are designed the way they are is because they can handle a lot more user connections and higher throughput than a wireless nic. Besides a nice wireless nic is gonna cost ya around $60 anyway, and a wap is what around $100, just spend the extra and get something thats reliable and gaureented to work.

anyway, id say do what you want, its your time to waste :P