Piggy back 2 wireless range extender's

nyses

I was going to be setting up 2 range extenders. One piggybacking the other one that was connected to a router. Well I was hoping to. Is this possible?

range extender --> range extender --> router

I was planning on using the Linksys extenders. So will on extender pick up the other one automatically? I've never used one before.

How much lag are you talking? I'm going to be setting up two buildings with about 50 units. Can it handle it?

honestly, I'm not sure how much lag, I know my church has one wireless router in the offices and then has 3 extenders piggybacked to try to make it into the auditorium, old building, all concrete and steel. It does work somewhat though. I wouldn't game on it or anything. I didn't do any of the setup or anything, So, it might not be as simple as just pluggin it in and it works. And I'm not sure if all Wireless range extenders will do this. Which one are you looking at?

Are you intending for one router will handle 50 machines? I'm not certain that this is feasible - if I recall, I found that when a number of wireless machines use one router, it became very slow and intermittent with signal.

The Buffalo routers, any of the 54G, MIMO, whatever, can be set to access point (range extender) mode. They are easy to use. I only use them for range extenders now. They will piggy back off of each other. Once turn on the access point capability in the firmware it is cake. You usually only need the mac addresses of the other acess points and the router so that they know what to look for. You can base the range on the advertised distance and if you really want to know what they are putting out, walk around the area with a laptop and netstumbler to see how strong the singal is and if you have gaps. If it is inside the home, I would recommend these. You can find them in pairs if you look. They sell them at Best Buy. Lots of people I know that network large homes swear by them, they also can be encrypted, so no problem there.

Those wall-plugged ethernet ports are heavenly. I've got a feeling that I'll be picking a pair up here, as our wireless is pretty irritating. Nice to know about the Buffalo routers though.

Those wall-plugged ethernet ports are heavenly. I've got a feeling that I'll be picking a pair up here, as our wireless is pretty irritating. Nice to know about the Buffalo routers though.

I love the Buffalo. I set up a huge resort with them in every cabin so that everyone could have free wireless. It wasn't secured, by request of the owner. The router was in the main building and they all bounced off of each other and spread the signal across the whole complex. I put them all on the same channel, and the router on a different one. I used 6 for the router, and 11 for the access points. I don't know why, that's just what the manufacturer said to do.

I was only going to use one router to support. What would you recommend. At least 2 routers?

I also forgot to mention this cust wants all these connections on a 5 meg internet connection. Im pretty sure all the units wont be using the web all at the same time but I'm thinking they will need more speed.

Edited by nyses

I was only going to use one router to support. What would you recommend. At least 2 routers?

I also forgot to mention this cust wants all these connections on a 5 meg internet connection. Im pretty sure all the units wont be using the web all at the same time but I'm thinking they will need more speed.

Don't worry about the bandwidth. Unless the ISP sucks, the router should take care of that. You only need one router. The reason I say to get the buffalo router is because it is cheaper than an access point and can be use as an access point instead of a router.

Don't worry about the bandwidth. Unless the ISP sucks, the router should take care of that. You only need one router. The reason I say to get the buffalo router is because it is cheaper than an access point and can be use as an access point instead of a router.

Basically just bridge the router to make it an access point right? I'mnot sporting the bill so price makes no difference to me. Is it easier to use extenders or an access point?