GA-965P-DS3 E6600 Overclock Assistnace

I would like to know the suitable settings for overclocking my memory and motherboard please. I have managed to overclock from stock 2.4 to 3.0 (2998), however I'm trying to reach at least 3.4 or even 3.8 (as other people have without using water cooling) The specs are detailed below;-

Processor = Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Retail

Motherboard = Gigabyte GA-965p-DS3 Rev 3.3 775

Memory = OCZ 4GB kit EL DDR2 PC2-6400

Power Supply = 500W PSU

Cooling = Akasa AK-960E Heatpipe Cooler

Arctic Cooling 12 System Fan

2 x Case Cooler Exhaust Fan

Case = Aria Gamer DarkStar

Storage = 2 x 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATAII 16MB 5yr warranty Raid 0

1 x 500GB Seagate Barracuda SATA-2 16MB

Here is a list of my MIT settings within the BIOS;-

Robost Graphics Booster - AUTO

CPU Clock Ratio - 9

CPU Host Control -ENABLED

Cpu Host Freq -FSB333

PCI Express Freq - 101

C.I.A.2 - DISABLED

System Memory Multiplier -2.5

Memory Freq Mhz - 833

System Voltage Control

DDR2 OverVoltage Control - 0.2

PCI-E OverVoltage Control NORMAL

FSB OverVoltage Control NORMAL

MCH OverVoltage Control NORMAL

CPU Voltage Control 1.4

Normal CPU Vcore 1.35

High Speec DRAM DLL Settings = OPTION1

Dram Timing Selectable = AUTO

CAS Latency Time = 5

DRAM RAS to CAS Delay = 5

DRAM RAS Precharge = 5

Precharge delay (tRAS) = 15

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD) = 4

Rank Write To READ Delay = 3

Write to Precharge Delay = 6

Refresh to ACT Delay = 42

Read to Precharge Delay = 3

If someone could please shed some light my way it would be very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Stevey G

So what's the problem? Are you having instability? Can't go beyond your current settings?

yes thats right I am. I changed from 333 to 340 and CPU-Z, Core temp 0.95 and Orthos. Orthos fails after 9 seconds. So I change to 333 and it works all day long.

yes thats right I am. I changed from 333 to 340 and CPU-Z, Core temp 0.95 and Orthos. Orthos fails after 9 seconds. So I change to 333 and it works all day long.

I would guess it's your memory. It probably can't run at that speed with such low voltage. Try dropping the memory multiplier to 2 and increase the FSB. You could also increase vDIMM. See if that helps.

EDIT: Is that a 2x2GB kit? Can you provide a link so I can see the specs?

Edited by Bleeble

I would guess it's your memory. It probably can't run at that speed with such low voltage. Try dropping the memory multiplier to 2 and increase the FSB. You could also increase vDIMM. See if that helps.

EDIT: Is that a 2x2GB kit? Can you provide a link so I can see the specs?

Thanks for getting back to me

I've tweaked my Akasa AK-960E Heatpipe Cooler to run at 100%. My stock E6600 2.4 overclocked to 3.0ghz runs at a sweet 28C.

Now i've managed to tweak my CPU from 3.0 ghz to 3.330 ghz with 370fsb my temps are cool as well. LOVELY !!!!

This is my RAM - I ordered 2 lots of the 2 gig kits so thats 4 x 1 gig DDR2 sticks

Take a look at the pics :-)

post-22853-1184530054_thumb.jpg

Thanks for getting back to me

I've tweaked my Akasa AK-960E Heatpipe Cooler to run at 100%. My stock E6600 2.4 overclocked to 3.0ghz runs at a sweet 28C.

Now i've managed to tweak my CPU from 3.0 ghz to 3.330 ghz with 370fsb my temps are cool as well. LOVELY !!!!

This is my RAM - I ordered 2 lots of the 2 gig kits so thats 4 x 1 gig DDR2 sticks

Take a look at the pics :-)

Opps forgot the URL :-) - http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memo..._2_dual_channel

VDimm is the voltage to your memory. VCore is the voltage to your cpu.

Ok - i've increased from 0.2+ to 0.3+ which is the max the stick will run at 2.1v as the basic is 1.8 from what i've learnt I think. I've increased the CPU fsb from 370 to 376 now and the system runs fine but ORTHOS fails after 2 mins on the RAM. I've also increased the voltage to the other options;-

PCI-E OverVoltage Control 0.2+

FSB OverVoltage Control 0.2+

MCH OverVoltage Control 0.2+

Do I need to adjust the timings and or increase the above pci, fsb mch voltage?

The CPU voltage i've left alone at 1.475

Ok - i've increased from 0.2+ to 0.3+ which is the max the stick will run at 2.1v as the basic is 1.8 from what i've learnt I think. I've increased the CPU fsb from 370 to 376 now and the system runs fine but ORTHOS fails after 2 mins on the RAM. I've also increased the voltage to the other options;-

PCI-E OverVoltage Control 0.2+

FSB OverVoltage Control 0.2+

MCH OverVoltage Control 0.2+

Do I need to adjust the timings and or increase the above pci, fsb mch voltage?

The CPU voltage i've left alone at 1.475

That sounds like a good plan. Raising PCI-E voltage probably won't affect the OC, but if it helps, go right ahead. You might even need to raise your MCH voltage to +.3 to keep things stable. Just make sure you keep an eye on your chipset temperature (also called "system"). Simply pointing a fan at the stock heatsink makes a huge difference. You can use SpeedFan to monitor it.

You can raise the voltage beyond 2.1V for your RAM. 2.1 is simply what it takes to run the stock timings at DDR2-800. Your warranty covers up to 2.2V. Personally, I wouldn't suggest going above 2.3V unless you have active cooling on your RAM (i.e. a fan).

What settings are you using in Orthos? Are you using any other software for stability testing?

Edited by Bleeble

That sounds like a good plan. Raising PCI-E voltage probably won't affect the OC, but if it helps, go right ahead. You might even need to raise your MCH voltage to +.3 to keep things stable. Just make sure you keep an eye on your chipset temperature (also called "system"). Simply pointing a fan at the stock heatsink makes a huge difference. You can use SpeedFan to monitor it.

You can raise the voltage beyond 2.1V for your RAM. 2.1 is simply what it takes to run the stock timings at DDR2-800. Your warranty covers up to 2.2V. Personally, I wouldn't suggest going above 2.3V unless you have active cooling on your RAM (i.e. a fan).

What settings are you using in Orthos? Are you using any other software for stability testing?

I only use ORTHOS to keep an eye on the system and stress test. I use the - "Blend - stress CPU and RAM" test and "Large, in place FFT's - stress some RAM" test

How would I attach a fan to the RAM? Theres no mounting holes - also I think i should attach a fan to the MCH - Gigabyte chip from what i've read; however how would I do that as well as no mounting holes again.