Small Business Server 2003

Hushplz

Wondered if anyone could help:

Currently my server is running SBS 2003 and recently had some problems where clients couldn't connect to it but the server could connect to the clients.

Anyway,

I decided to try "Last Known Good Configuration" and since then the Server will restart itself on startup.

First it flashes up my wallpaper then shows the error "System error lsass.exe:

When trying to update a password the return status indicates that the value provided as the current password is not correct"

Displays the error for around 1 second before restarting. I have tried Safe Mode and get the same problem.

Any advice would be welcome?

(Censored :thumbs-up: )

What service pack is installed?

Most likely you are going to have to boot into recovery console and repair the windows installation. Do you know how to do that? If not I can get you a guide for it.

btw, wasn't that error message one of the symptoms of the sasser worm? You might wanna look up some sasser cleaning tools.

ahhh. that's a network support service. without windows will shut down. with it corrupted you'll have a tough time accepting incoming requests to the server.

could be caused by a virus. try to boot to safemode without network support and run your antivirus software.

other option is the file itself has been deleted or damaged. in either case boot the computer from your windows 2003 CD. when the option to enter the repair console comes up follow prompts until you at a regular old dos prompt. then type "chkdsk /r" and hit enter

go have a coffee or a beer or what ever you want. this is gonna take some time.

once it's done it will give you an indication of if it found problems or not.

reboot and try firing it up again.

The server is running SP1. What do you mean by repairing your installation from recovery console? A guide would be fantastic please :)

lsass.exe is known for the sasser virus infection, but non of the symptons point towards that.

_ _ _

Bigred, excellent sounds like this is related to the 1st original problem them.

As the server is using mirrored raid, i've just finished creating a slipstream'd CD with the Sata Drivers on so i can use recovery console.

When entering Recovery Console, i'm getting asked for the administrator password.

It's saying i'm entering the wrong password? When i know for a fact it's correct.

I'm hoping my password hasn't been changed? :(

If your admin password isn't working in recovery console then the following tool is a must have. It is probably one of the most handy tools for a tech lol. :)

NT Offline Password recovery

Also, once you are in recovery console if bigred's suggestion of chkdsk/r doesn't work then try the following guide. It doesn't necessarily pertain to your exact error message but I have found that it seems to fix about any core system errors.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...Ben-us%3B307545

that particular virus does attack this exact file. but what happens is you get a count down screen and that's it. the system reboots. it's not instant.

also you have to log on with THE administrator password. not just one of the other users with admin rights.

I thought i would update as it's now been solved.

First off thanks for that handy tool Nerm, the one i was using previously was charging everytime.

I managed to get into Recovery Console and did a CHKDSK in the HDD, a few errors where found and then fixed.

Straight after i did the registry fix.

Sure enough i rebooted and found myself back into the server, and was able to troubleshoot the original problem and a repair installation sorted that out.

:) Thanks for your help