New Rig

gotdamojo06

I was looking to upgrade my computer this summer and I have a deadline of before the 2007 Forum Wars starts...

I need to get a complete system (excluding the speakers, monitor, keyboard, mouse)

This is what I was looking at, but I would like some input as to what you guys think about the parts and help me figure out how to shave about $150-$200

---------------------------------------

Silverstone 20" SATA II Cable

Western Digital Caviar SE 160GB 7200 RPM

SAPPHIRE Radeon X1950XT 256MB

Rosewill 550W

G. Skill 2GB (2 x 1GB)

Gigabyte GA-965P-S3

C2D E6400

Grand Total $721.94

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rosewill 550W = NO! Stay way from cheapo PSU brands! That will only cause you trouble when building the rig! I would recommend anything along the lines of a OCZ GameXtream, but as I see you are on a tight budget, check out the XClio Goodpower or Greatpower series. Around 500W should suffice easily.

Also, why are you getting another SATA cable? The mainboard will have a couple coming with it already!

I'll also have to agree with the others about the power supply. I used to have a Rosewill 500W jobbie and it took a poo running an old P4 2.0A system that is currently getting by on a 300W backup. Also, seeing as how they are about the same price, why not opt for the E6420 instead of the E6400? It's the exact same chip except that it has 4MB cache instead of 2MB.

thank you for the help, im going to grab all the money i have and see how much i can exactly fork out and see if my parents will loan me a little bit for this new rig ;)

i was getting the sata cable because the hdd was oem (no accessories) so i figured i would have to add one :)

Ill let you guys know about a total price that I have when i get done w/ arrons and finish moving in

Finally done w/ freshman year at college and just moved back to my parents house for the summer

Rosewill PSU's aren't as bad As I once thought.

I mean, his choice could have been worse... Coughaspirecough

i originally had a XClio Truepower or Realpower 500W but I went with this one only because I was trying to shave a little bit of money off the grand total...but like I said, I will be letting you guys know exactly how much money I have to work with later today, now that I have a job it should be a little bit more ;)

Western Digital Caviar SE 160GB 7200 RPM

SAPPHIRE Radeon X1950XT 256MB

XClio GOODPOWER 500W

G. Skill 2GB (2 x 1GB)

Gigabyte GA-965P-S3

C2D E6420

Thermaltake Aguila Case

Grand Total $826.26

This is what I am looking at getting, I would like to get a aftermarket CPU cooler for better cooling due to the fact that I hope to break the 3. GHz mark, I am open to any suggestions...

Other than the CPU cooler, how do you guys like this rig? Im about ready to enter my info and order it by next week (if everything goes as planed this weekend)

That rig looks awesome, especially for the price! Why don't you add another 8$ to the mix and get the Thermalright XP-90/XP-120/SI-120 LGA775 Mounting Kit? I have it myself on with my SI-120, and it's great! Also a cheap way to keep reusing your parts. Then on your current rig, you could just put back the stock heatsink, and away it goes!

Personally I'd drop the Goodpower in favour of a Stablepower.

Sure it's another $20 but still very reasonable really.

You could probably get something decent of a lower rating even, but it won't save you any money.