automated way to reduce picture size

lost

No way around it that I know of. My only suggestion would be to remove those files from the directory before doing the batch.

Exactly that is what anyone has to do it, lol.

So you also see no solution, oh, sad... Neverless you don't need in Photoshop to record new actions when you want to do something a little bit different. You can easily edit each phase/function in the existing action instead ;)

However I still have no idea how to convince Photoshop do NOT enlarge the images, if they are smaller. I simply have to use absolute values and therefore if there is in the directory lost a 640 pixels wide picture, it get enlarged to to 800 pixels wide size...

Is there are any way around it? I dubt in Photoshop 6 is, as there is no IF, EVEN or GET SIZE functions to check the image size first and then do the adjustments...

Yes. You can do anything in Photoshop. If you can write the correct JavaScript code...

File > Automate > Scripts >

All your custom scripts can appear here, although you have to be a coder to be able to produce a functional script... Research: Photoshop script OR javascript

Try Bicubic Sharper for the resize algorithm. It really seems to maintain a noticable amount of detail compared to standard Bicubic or Bilinear.

This is not awailable in Photoshop 6, tough ;) And I'm lucky to figured how to save the settings and stuff so I did not need to reinstall Photoshop each time with windows, so I stay with v6 :P

But with java is there a chance to get real processing power! B:)