The antec sonata 2 case modding is back

Im Back!!! (Starting post http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=67431) lol I got a update on my case (yes I know I have bin working on it for awile but I had some recent events to take care of) but to recap... Im new to modding and I wanted to open my case up (now that its fully payed for and no warranty) I started out with a stock antec sonata 2 case http://www.acoustiproducts.com/images/prod...iew_356x468.jpg

(forgive me for the loss of pics my hdd went POOF :thumbs-up: lol) I was putting the trim on and cutting the plexiglass for the door then I thought.... geesssss this is to darn easy :glare: so I steped it up a bit and made the door have more dimension

1901071855bl3.jpg (you probly wont see what I did till the next update)1901071856ef7.jpg

yes I know it ran but its just a sanding primer because of what I had done (the pic's I lost) I had put the trim on and found some auto body filler and smoothed it to the trim :withstupid: I had done more to the door and got to the point were I wanted to smash it due to bad auto body filler so I started to work on the case wile I thought on how to fix the door

Now these pic's are where the heat from the cpu from the tunnel that came with the tower vented... I wont be using the tunnel because I plan on installing a water cooling system later on. But for now... ither it had to go or mabe I could fit a 80mm fan there :unsure:

2203071319tk5.jpg2203071312ku6.jpgafter testing a 80mm fan in there I found out that it fit(with out a gfx cards in the pci-e slots)

well theres no turning back now that theres a hole...the only way to get it to fit with out it grinding and making a terrible noise was to mutilate my 80mm fan that I had just bought...so with a dremel I attacked it with no mercy and came up with this.

2203071314fx8.jpg2203071318rr1.jpgYaaaY it fit( with 1 gfx card)

After marking where the second gfx card was I cut it and tryed agian... but no luck, the corner of the card was in the way... after thinking it over I had conundrum, 100$ case( ive learnt my lesson) and a 60$ 80mm fan - a 120$ gfx card and I have 2 so having a back up plan I attacked my gfx card aswelll

2203071315au6.jpg2203071323bl1.jpg

Most of you must think im crazy for taking that risk...but as they say "higher the risk better the outcome" and I think it payed off

2203071303gk1.jpg Now all i have to do is cut some plexiglass to cover the remaining holes and to think I was going to cover it up

dont even ask "Wont hat bulge the door out" because it dosent, even with the window it dosent

These next pic's are of my hdd bay, I dont know if you can see them...but theres 4 bumps that had holes in them, I dont know what whent there for(cant be for the hdd because the on the sonata 2 the hdd gets mounted on a removeably bay) but to me it it looked like a spot for a 120mm fan,so I had grabbed 1 and try putting it in place2203071320zv5.jpg Looks like it was ment to go there (most likely so) 2203071304ed9.jpg

A thing of beauty ( I know that theres no air flow because its blocked and I will fix that)

I also dressed up my power supply (im going to upgrade later when I water cool, so I kept the stock 1)

2203071326rm3.jpg time to clean it up and paint

lol this next pic.... ya...ummm... I dont know what to say...I had bought 3 large aerosol cans of black paint I had both case and door primed and started painting and I was in a rush too (there was a lan the next day), I worked hard all night and got the case done (so I can install stuff wile the paint drys) and as I whent to start painting the door (in the stairwell lol :thumbs-up: B:) ) and leanded it against the rail and hit 1 of the cans off the platform... the full 1...it was fine till it hit the bottom them....well you get the picture... now I was flipping out because I wasent able to get paint at 1 am... so I whent back to installing hardware...and after 3 cans of jolt energy drinks 2 cups of coffie pack of smoke's (BAD) on top of it being 4 in the morning I dont know what I was thinking but this is what happened

newbitmapimagelf9.png

Dont worry it isnt staying that way but due to vandalism they put cameras in the stairwell :unsure::blink: ill just have to wait till summer till then onto my next mods, I got 2 of them done other then my case moddedmx518qo6.png

Too bad I shorted it out with a screw driver :glare: Lesson learnt "never have what you wroking on pluged in" :withstupid:

I also modded my headphones and mic to make a head set

1202071026ng1.jpg1202071027sd0.jpg1202071025dk4.jpg

thats the easyest mod I did... If tou cant tell i bolted the mic stand to my headphones and hot glued it

Well thats what I've bin up to I think for the first time modding I did ok, the next update might be a monitor mod but im not to shur yet... sorry about the quality and the lack/loss of pic's and please go ahead and comment about it and give me some advice

lol at homemade headset, that's awesome man :lol: i've thought about doing that so many times cos i have a really good mic and good headphones...

why did you mount an 80mm led fan over the pci slots???

lol at homemade headset, that's awesome man :lol: i've thought about doing that so many times cos i have a really good mic and good headphones...

why did you mount an 80mm led fan over the pci slots???

lol thx...the headset started with me wanting a good set of headphones and a junky mic because when you buy a desent headset you paying for the mic and not the headset itself

so you got 2 options good headphones & bad mic or good mic & bad headphopes...hmmm I play css and I know sound means alot(OMG HaXoR) and the mic...as long as it works good in vent or ts then its good for me :P

Well why wouldent I put the 80 mm fan there :P (the more heat out out the better)and :P its not over the slots its just where the vent was for the cpu tunnel(a bunch hole) I could tunnel off the thye gfx cards and I still could put somthing in a pci slot(not likly I would)

And I failed to mention the system temps: cpu 33c system chipset 31c hdd 37c gpu1 37 gpu2 30 at idle room temp around 27c-22c under load cpu 52c system chipset 35c hdd 40c-45c gpu1 42c gpu2 47c thats the highest its bin, but the hdd still varies depending on what I do, I did ok with just air cooling and um still using my stock cpu heatsink that came with my computer,I cant wait to see what I get with water cooling

monitoring with Speed Fan and Riva Tuner

Nice work!....next time you could make things a little easier on yourself by leaving the acrylic window square (except for a cutout around the door handle) nobody is going to see the backside of the panel when it's on the case B:)

Nice work!....next time you could make things a little easier on yourself by leaving the acrylic window square (except for a cutout around the door handle) nobody is going to see the backside of the panel when it's on the case B:)
Ya but then I would be like everone elce http://www.bigfootcomputers.com/Merchant2/...tegory_Code=352 and Its not really a mod if you can buy it, sorry but thats the way I feel

Ya but then I would be like everone elce http://www.bigfootcomputers.com/Merchant2/...tegory_Code=352 and Its not really a mod if you can buy it, sorry but thats the way I feel

No...that's not what I mean...what I am saying is that you do not need to cut the acrylic to match your cutout...one large square piece attached to the inside of the panel will accomplish the same thing. <_<

No...that's not what I mean...what I am saying is that you do not need to cut the acrylic to match your cutout...one large square piece attached to the inside of the panel will accomplish the same thing. <_<

I did, but due to the door not being done I dont have it in. If your talking about the black outline on the back of the door in this pic newbitmapimagelf9.png

Thats not the acrylic... it looks like it but it really isent, thats trimming... ill have to get a pic up that shows that im talking about. But thx for the advice.

I did, but due to the door not being done I dont have it in. If your talking about the black outline on the back of the door in this pic newbitmapimagelf9.png

Thats not the acrylic... it looks like it but it really isent, thats trimming... ill have to get a pic up that shows that im talking about. But thx for the advice.

Ahhh...OK :lol: