Best Way to Resolder a Speaker

http://flickr.com/photos/vasto/sets/72157600007839530/

I uploaded photos of my speaker there. If anyone needs more photos from specific angles just let me know.

Anyways, I only know how to solder together two wires. And when I do that, first I make a solid mechanical connection. However, I don't know how to make the mechanical connection to that post (for lack of better words.)

I was hoping someone experienced with soldering could tell me how.

I actually just did this earlier today with some new speakers I got for my car. First I got the wires stripped and then there was a hole in the metal that I was attaching them to, so I slipped the wire in the hole and folded it over and twisted it around the other side so it would hold. Then I soldered them on. It worked quite nicely.

Looking at your pictures I'm guessing that the black box thing with the wire hanging out got disconnected from that spike looking thing below it? I would assume that there is going to be a hole underneath that pile of solder, so I would first remove that and then use the above method. It doesnt look like you have alot of wire to work with though.

They make this stuff called solder wick that is supposedly good for picking it off. But I would just heat it up and then use some copper wire to scrap it off with (thats all that solder wick is).

all you have to do is hold the copper wire so it is resting on the connector strip... you might find you need 3 hands to do this (soldering iron, solder, holding the cable) so you might want to use a "helping hands" or "the third hand" crocodile clip-stand tool to aid you with holding the cable... you can see action shots (lol) of the third hand in my 7800GT voltmod guide doing exactly what you need to do

the component is a Choke with a value of 0.31 milli-Henries, they are usually used to reduce interference

Thanks everyone. I managed to resolder it on (and it works!!) And to think that probably a year ago I would have just called it a lost cause. :-) (I'll post some photos so you can make fun of my soldering job as soon as I can)

EDIT: Can I epoxy down the choke?

Edited by Vasto

Congrats. Did you end up taking off the old solder or just throwing some more on top of it?

I'm guessing that you could epoxy down the choke as long as it doesnt mess with any connections, but thats a complete guess so dont rely on it.