small overclock.. Look like an okay start? (screenshots)

Steven T

This is with the stock HSF and Antec 900 case. I have a Noctua NH-U12F in the mail... any thoughts? I've never overclocked so I feel a little shakey...

There's no way I can do my CPU intense audiowork with these kind of temperatures. So I must be doing something wrong, yah? E6600 at only 2.8 with stock HSF shouldnt run so hot. Goes easily to a steady 50c when working in my music production sequencer (with only 50% cpu usage).

untitled1ad1.jpg

Edited by Steven T

you are off to a good start, I have no experience with dual core processors nor do I have any experience with any intel chips in the overclocking department so I cant help much...

one thing that I would defently do is download the new OCCT and run that for 30 min to find out if its stable and you will then be able to see what your load temps are, which are just as important as your idle temps. kinda like hitting 2 birds with 1 stone type thing...:lol:

what was the point in quoting yourself StevenT?

It was an accident. You replied b4 I was done fixing it. Sorry. :)

I changed my voltage from 1.4 down to 1.2 and it made a huge change. I raised FSB up a bit now im at 3.01. My FDB DRAM ratio is now 11:13 (what does this mean) It should be 1:1. Is 11:13okay?

I ran OCCT (dunno if it's meant for 2 core systems) It finished the test fine. System appears stable.

Edited by sdy284

I would try to keep it 1:1 if it was me. I think your OC looks nice at this point I just got my e6600 this last week I have a thread right under yours with some pics. I have it running at 9x400 pretty easy at this point. In my opinion I bet you could do 9x350 no prob and still be safe. But you do have the stock cooler so I am not sure of that. I have the Tuniq Tower 120 and it is doing its job quite well :P I have been using ORTHOS to stress my cpu and see if its stable. And it does stress both cores at the same time. You can get it from one of the stickies at the top of this forum.

I would try to keep it 1:1 if it was me. I think your OC looks nice at this point I just got my e6600 this last week I have a thread right under yours with some pics. I have it running at 9x400 pretty easy at this point. In my opinion I bet you could do 9x350 no prob and still be safe. But you do have the stock cooler so I am not sure of that. I have the Tuniq Tower 120 and it is doing its job quite well :P I have been using ORTHOS to stress my cpu and see if its stable. And it does stress both cores at the same time. You can get it from one of the stickies at the top of this forum.

Kewl. I will check out orthos...

here's what CPU-Z says about my system now... http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=177338

EDIT: Okay I just ran orthos for 10 minutes and there were no errors. My CPU was at 66c though so I stopped it. i think that might have been too high. I couldnt find any instructions for orthos.

Edited by Steven T

wow cant believe that I forgot about orthos, you can tell how much overclocking Ihave been doing lately...:lol:

When you said that you were changing the bios settings, did you know what you were changing and why you were doing it? If not you should probably read up a little bit before you begin to change the settings...

I use a combo of orthos and occt to test for stability...I use occt everytime I change a setting if it passes the 30 min occt test, then i will push it more, when it fails I will go back down to the "lower" setting until it is 30min occt stable and then I will run orthos for 24hrs then a 6hr test of occt :) Thats how I make sure mine is stable...

When you said that you were changing the bios settings, did you know what you were changing and why you were doing it?

I know enough to know how not to damage anything. I'm grasping the basics but when it comes to things like figuring out how to get that 1:1 ratio without sacrificing the performance of my ram I am a little lost.

Hey when I run ORTHOS is gets to about 66c. Is is okay to leave it hot like this for the durations i have ORTHOS running?

Edited by Steven T

like I said before I dont know the average temps or what the ballpark for temps on the intel chips should be, I have my core full load around 55-56C...I wouldnt want to go much higher than that...

If it were me, I would back down off of the oc until you get some sort of non-stock cooling solution for your cpu...im guessing you have the stock hsf on there right now right?

like I said before I dont know the average temps or what the ballpark for temps on the intel chips should be, I have my core full load around 55-56C...I wouldn't want to go much higher than that...

If it were me, I would back down off of the oc until you get some sort of non-stock cooling solution for your cpu...im guessing you have the stock hsf on there right now right?

Yup.. as stated in the first line of the very first post :) Noctua NH-U12 in the mail (should be here tomorrow). I guess I'll hold off on things for today.