Buying new parts. 600 to spend

Hello all, I have about 600 to spend on a upgrade. It's either a 8800 gts 640mb and asus a8n OR 2gb gskill ddr2, asrock agp/pci-e mobo and a e6600.

I'm currently running

Opty 175

Msi neo2 platinum

x1950 pro AGP

2x1gb Patriot 2,3,2,5

X-fi Platinum

Wd 120gb

Wd 160gb

:thumbs-up: Thanks

You found a mobo that supports both AGP/PCI-E and is actually good? If you did then I'd suggest getting the CPU/RAM/Mobo and later when you got some cash get a new GFX card because there will soon be a new line of Gen2 DX10 cards coming out.

You found a mobo that supports both AGP/PCI-E and is actually good? If you did then I'd suggest getting the CPU/RAM/Mobo and later when you got some cash get a new GFX card because there will soon be a new line of Gen2 DX10 cards coming out.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813157092

Well, some say it sucks. The pci-e is really gimp. :unsure:

Personally, I'd save that money and wait to get some extra cash + sell your rig and just buy it all at one time. :)

Here's the only thing, It's not all my money and i have the choice to buy now or never :unsure:

Should i just go with the 8800 and asus or take a chance and get the asrock pos. lol

Btw, I kind of want to be dx10 ready too so I'm not too sure.

Here's the only thing, It's not all my money and i have the choice to buy now or never :unsure:

Should i just go with the 8800 and asus or take a chance and get the asrock pos. lol

Btw, I kind of want to be dx10 ready too so I'm not too sure.

If it's a "now or never" situation I gotta say that video card with the rest of your setup will do good (even though isn't the 8800 PCI-E only? or have video cards not getting to that yet? :P) I would say get the other stuff for now, because you can get some quick cash and sell your current rig and get you a shiny new video card. :)

The thing with video cards is that they change to often and new ones come out, and a lot of times you don't ever get to fully use a video card because of other components bottleknecking it. The rest of your system (a lot of the time) can be kept for a while and used just fine with day-to-day gaming or even some of the more extreme gamers.

If I were you (and I am in the exact same position except I have a temporary PCI-E vid card to use) I would upgrade everything and just get a new video card later, because that mobo is really cheap you could probably get a new mobo at the same time as getting that new video card. :)

If it's a "now or never" situation I gotta say that video card with the rest of your setup will do good (even though isn't the 8800 PCI-E only? or have video cards not getting to that yet? :P) I would say get the other stuff for now, because you can get some quick cash and sell your current rig and get you a shiny new video card. :)

The thing with video cards is that they change to often and new ones come out, and a lot of times you don't ever get to fully use a video card because of other components bottleknecking it. The rest of your system (a lot of the time) can be kept for a while and used just fine with day-to-day gaming or even some of the more extreme gamers.

If I were you (and I am in the exact same position except I have a temporary PCI-E vid card to use) I would upgrade everything and just get a new video card later, because that mobo is really cheap you could probably get a new mobo at the same time as getting that new video card. :)

yeah, it's kind of a hard choice. I know if i get the 8800 gts and a good mobo i could OC the opty. But then if i get the core2 mobo and memory im not really going to have a "great" card for the time being. This upgrade kind of has to "last" me as bills are expensive. I Still have time to decide but im just not too sure.

Edited by Bmxant

Hello all, I have about 600 to spend on a upgrade. It's either a 8800 gts 640mb and asus a8n OR 2gb gskill ddr2, asrock agp/pci-e mobo and a e6600.

I'm currently running

Opty 175

Msi neo2 platinum

x1950 pro AGP

2x1gb Patriot 2,3,2,5

X-fi Platinum

Wd 120gb

Wd 160gb

:thumbs-up: Thanks

I would say hold on, I have a neo2 plat with a fx-55 and a x800xtpe laying around and still is able to game well. For now i would suggest in holding that money for a bit and go for a c2d refresh version (faster fsb iirc). Your rig should be more than capable than gaming especially with a x1950 card in it. Then again the 8 series do stomp on the x1950xtx.

Wait till Christmas time to get a Dx10 card, thats when the somewhat Dx10 games will be releasing. Upcoming games aren't even fully Dx10. Take for example Crysis one of the most appcitpated games for PC isn't even fully Dx10 it only has options to use Dx10 but is not required to play the game. But if that x1950 card is holding you back and your a heavy gamer or want everything to run smoothly when you actually get time to game by all means upgrade to the 8800gts. I know I would if i had the money if my 7800gt wasn't pushing it enough for me.

Edited by Krazyxazn