Simple Dual Channel Question

I have a notebook with two 512MB sticks running as dual-channel. I want to upgrade to 2x1GB, but the memory I'm eyeballing doesn't say if it's dual-channel. Is dual channel something that the motherboard does alone, or do you have to get RAM that actually is labeled dual-channel?

This is for a Socket M machine (core duo).

~Thanks in advance~

Just get two of the same sticks and you'll be fine, its kinda like shopping for pens, and buying a "dual" pack.

All that needs to be the same is: (IF your not OCing)

Size (IE: 512 and 512)

Latency (Doesn't really matter, just set to the speed of the slowest piece of ram)

and speed (IE DDR400, of course, you can use faster ram than what is required. IE: setup requires DDR400, and you stick DDR400 and DDR500, the DDR500 will run at DDR400)

and that's it. This dual channel kits are just two of the same sticks, which will save you moolah win bought together rather than buying them seperatly

Edited by The Unforgivin

dual channel ability is down to the motherboard... "dual channel" paired memory makes it easier to make sure the memory has the same speed, timings, voltages, etc... you could buy two single sticks and run it in dual channel, it's just harder to match them if you buy them separately

ah, cool. the two sticks come as a 2GB kit, so I should be okay. Thanks for the info.

BTW I'm selling my RAM on eBay, can I post the link somewhere on this forum? It's over in about 2 hours or so, and is only at $26 for the gig.