The TEC Cooler came, let's OC this FX-55!

kendellrt

Ok, so my CoolIT Eliminator came today and is installed. I used AS Ceramique as recommended by Uber in his review. I have loosened up my RAM timings ans have it set up as if it were at it's rated speed of PC4000. I figure that I'll get the CPU overclocked and then dial in the RAM. I am at about 32*C idle, and 42*C under full folding load.

I am have my HTT multi at 4x, my AGP/PCI bus locked, and am moving the bus speed up 3 at a time. I was wondering what you would all suggest for stress testing. I have Prime95, which I will probably use with Orthos. I also have OCCT. What is the max vcore I can use with this CPU?

Give me some ideas, and I'l keep you posted.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would use Prime95 to stress test. Here is my justification :) Orthos is really meant for dual-core stress testing. Given that you don't have dual core, it doesn't do you much good. Besides, Orthos is just two instances of SP2004 anyways, and SP2004 is just Prime95 with a pretty front-end.

For the max vCore, I wouldn't go much over 1.6v myself. Most of these SD chips don't seem to show much (if any) improvement from going higher than about 1.63.

throw a divider on the ram and then OC the CPU (takes the RAM out of the question) so then you can find the wall on the CPU, go up by 10Mhz increments till it wont boot, then up the voltage and repeate, when you find where you are safe running it back it down in 1Mhz increments till it is stable to boot, then stress test it in windows, if its not stable you can lower the clock a bit more, or up the voltage. after you found how far the CPU will go then work on RAM.

and SP2004 is just Prime95 with a pretty front-end.

most significant is the elapsed timer, and the pc speaker alarm / flashing red box on fail... former lets you know when 24 hours is up without timing it, latter lets you know its failed without having to check up on it... big advantages imo over plain prime95 :)

i'd probably go with the 166 divider, 10x multi, 3x LDT, 6.5 preamble, 7 rc, 14 rfc

htt to 280.. then up in 5mhz

32 idle on a pelt? something seems wrong...what's the wattage it's rated for?

It isn't a true pelt. It is lower end than the Freezone. I think it is rated to about 145w.

I may go with nrg's advice, I think he may have done this before. :rolleyes:

Here is what I have with Uber's advice. I have NOT tested anything yet!

EDIT @ Uber: This FX-55 has always run hot. I think the IHS may not be seated the best. With stock cooling @ stock speed it ran 50*C idle!

It isn't a true pelt. It is lower end than the Freezone. I think it is rated to about 145w.

I may go with nrg's advice, I think he may have done this before. :rolleyes:

Here is what I have with Uber's advice. I have NOT tested anything yet!

EDIT @ Uber: This FX-55 has always run hot. I think the IHS may not be seated the best. With stock cooling @ stock speed it ran 50*C idle!

ouch! check to see if the IHS in concave or convex... those temps are kinda brutal for stock cooling!

if you cant fix it by lapping maybe remove the IHS?

ouch! check to see if the IHS in concave or convex... those temps are kinda brutal for stock cooling!

if you cant fix it by lapping maybe remove the IHS?

Lapping or removing it would scare me to death! If I removed the IHS, wouldn't I have to alter the retention clips? It might not matter with this cooler. The IHS looks fine to me, but I can't think of anything else, unless my mobo is VERY inacurate.

EDIT:

I have done a little more tweaking. I have 10x Multi, 3x LDT, 285FSB, 166 Div. I think that I may try to burn it in a little now. help me out here guys, and give me some advice on the IHS. I know that the Neo2 was notorious for incorrect temps.

Sorry for another post, but things have really changed. I went ahead and removed the IHS from my CPU acording to Hardnrg's guide. It was a seamless process. My BIOS says that I am running the EXACT same temps. I don't think that I can trust the sensor on here at all. I could always reseat the block, but i really don't think that is it.

Where should I go next?