Complete Newbie Starting From Scratch

Firstly that graphics card needs changing, you want at least a 7900GS (310 AUS), prolly a X1950Pro (310 AUS), or a X1950XTX (but it is 600 AUS)

That board is sweet and will do the E6600 justice, just the lack of crossfire will limit you to 1 ati card, so you might be better off with an nvidia card for the SLI in the future. If you dont want to bother with the SLI then you could get a Gigabyte GA 965P-DS3, these allow for some pretty good overclocking (zippy and bleebe have them) but don't have SLI.

Oh yeah and as for the flight sim, you could get MS flightsim X, but it needs a ninja graphics card to run it.

Thanks for the good info.

I will look into the vid cards you mention, will the one I have ordered keep me out of trouhle for the time being???

I am intrested in how this SLi works, and would like to learn more, can you point me in the right direction for some info, remember I have been playing with planes and not computers for quite a few years now....... :)

Edited by notorious_benny

good setup you got planned there :thumbs-up:

Thanks for the words guys!!

I am just going to put this thing together for starters, been a long time since I messed around with the insides of computers (not since highschool 10 years ago) so it will be a learning curve in itself.

However the more I read, it appears that the E6600 can be pushed a lot faster than it comes out of the box. Can someone please point me in the direction of some very BASIC steps to overclocking please??? (remember newbie here)

The info on these forums is quite interesting but a lot of it is in gobblygook language to me. Where do I go to get my traning wheels??

Thanks for the words guys!!

I am just going to put this thing together for starters, been a long time since I messed around with the insides of computers (not since highschool 10 years ago) so it will be a learning curve in itself.

However the more I read, it appears that the E6600 can be pushed a lot faster than it comes out of the box. Can someone please point me in the direction of some very BASIC steps to overclocking please??? (remember newbie here)

The info on these forums is quite interesting but a lot of it is in gobblygook language to me. Where do I go to get my traning wheels??

Well just to let you know that E6600 you got makes you a lucky man cause of its outrageous overclocking abilities. Just look at our member cokeman, he has a very decent overclock on his. Why don't you ask him for the basics on how to get the best of your E6600.

Ok, SLI allows you to run two identical graphics cards at once, linked by a little bridge at the top. But as a rule of thumb you shouldn't buy two slower cards and SLI them (the proformance is never doubled by two cards) but you should get a faster one, for your full graphics budget and then in the future upgrade to a second card for less than the first one cost you. Crossfire is basically the same idea with Ati cards instead.