What Is A Good Raid 0 Settup?

LivingGhost

Ok...I've got a problem...

I have a Raptor with an 8mb cache, and I don't think they sell them anymore.

I wouldn't be able to raid it with a 16mb cache one, would I?

Well...If I can't, then I guess no new gaming headphones. <_<

Edited by LivingGhost

Ok...I've got a problem...

I have a Raptor with an 8mb cache, and I don't think they sell them anymore.

I wouldn't be able to raid it with a 16mb cache one, would I?

Well...If I can't, then I guess no new gaming headphones. <_<

Yes you could, but you would be bottlenecked by that 8mb one (RAID-0 runs to the slowest drive basically) IE: Need to retrieve two peices of info from both drive, you get the one from the 16mb one like... 10ms faster than the other one, so you'll have to wait for the other drive. Same thing with storage, RAID0 a 80gb and a 750gb, you'll have 160gbs of storage space

BTW: I found that most SATA3 setups seem to have a max of 105-10mb/s sustained and burst of course is at 300mb/s.... So it won't really matter anyways (Most Dual raptors hit the cap anyways)

IDE is a similar story at about 80mb/s

Edited by The Unforgivin

So I shouldn't get two new raptors and scrap this one?

Or...What?

No no, I meant that dual drives would be great. One raptor gets about 50-63mb/s a second sustained, and with two, you'll hit that cap. I meant that the difference won't be noticeable between two different raptors anyways because of this

Ok, sorry to triple post, but I need help.

Ok, I enabled RAID in the BIOS, exited and saved, rebooted, and *tried* to enter the raid controller, but two "Warning: Cannot access ROM" or something popped up for my 2 raptors, and now I can't boot.

It either says "PLEASE INSERT SYSTEM DISK" or something when it's done checking for pci devices, and etc., or it does some pre-boot check that says that it has failed, then it goes to a screen where _ blinks endlessly.

what the heck happened? I was using it joylessly before I enabled RAID in the BIOS, and I mean right before.

Ok, sorry to triple post, but I need help.

Ok, I enabled RAID in the BIOS, exited and saved, rebooted, and *tried* to enter the raid controller, but two "Warning: Cannot access ROM" or something popped up for my 2 raptors, and now I can't boot.

It either says "PLEASE INSERT SYSTEM DISK" or something when it's done checking for pci devices, and etc., or it does some pre-boot check that says that it has failed, then it goes to a screen where _ blinks endlessly.

what the heck happened? I was using it joylessly before I enabled RAID in the BIOS, and I mean right before.

Try flashing the Bios?

And I suggest you make a new topic so more people will read it

It sounds to me that you created the array and just havent installed your operating system yet...That sounds about right anyway based on your partial error that is asking for a drive to boot from. Check your RAID controller's manual for the exacts, I've really only dealt with the nVidia RAID bios on my nf3/4 based boards recently and other than that it's been Intel joy so the RDX200's options are unknown to me :)

Actually, it rereading your post...I'm not even sure you've actually entered the RAID bios and setup the array yet...If you can't access the RAID bios double check and see ifthere's an option in the bios to enable it (different setting than when you enable RAID on the different ports). That one left me scratching my head and kicking into RTFM mode when i switched boards & CPUs in the main rig the other day.

Sorry to double post, but I just want to ask a question...

What is a good RAID controller? There are a TON, I'd like one that can do RAID 0, 1, and 5 well, because whatever is wrong with my mobo is making my processor EAT cycles, so I want to update the bios on this, and just do a clean install of XP on a working RAID setup.

And, if I use a RAID controller, do I still need to install RAID drivers in windows? How do they work?

(I am sitting here thinking I have a problem with my mobo, so I am going to try to fix it by upgrading the bios, and if that doesn't work, I'm buying a new mobo, RMA'ing this one, and selling it.[i can't really be without this computer.])