Tv Tuner Cards And Video Games

Due to an interesting miscommunication between my mom and my brother, I recently came into possession of a Playstation2. Problem is, I don't have a TV, all I have is a computer. Given that the only output from a PS2 is RCA composite video and audio, and the only input on my moniter is VGA, I've had somewhat of a problem getting the PS2 signal to appear on my moniter. I bought a Hauppauge TV capture card a little while ago to rectify this problem, but that didn't work too well. Problem was, the TV tuner card encodes everything, from every input, into an MPEG2 before it outputs the signal to my screen. This encoding causes roughly a 2 second delay between a button push and the correspoding output on the moniter. This makes gameplay, of any sort, impossible. I was wondering if any of you know of good TV tuner cards that don't do this encoding, that will capture an RCA composite A/V signal at a decent resolution (800X600, if possible) without the delay. I've been poking around on the internet a bit, but I can't seem to find anything that mentions this sort of problem. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

try these out:

hxxp://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=psx2&message.id=1334397#M1334397

hxxp://www.ramelectronics.net/html/video-to-vga.html

someone said that you might want to try a direct converter so you don't have to go through the encoding on a tv tuner.

Edit:

As I did more researched I found out there is no way to have no lag. You will suffer 0.5-2 seconds of lag no matter what setup you use.

Just save up and buy a cheap tv. I still play Ps 2 on my old tv.

Edited by Krazyxazn

the PS2 can output VGA... you can run linux on it too... we have development PS2 machines in the games lab at university (i'm doing a masters in computer games technology) and each one has a tv AND a regular computer monitor...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Ps2_linux_contents.jpg

actually, someone asked EXACTLY the same question about 8 days ago on this forum

here is one for $19 that you use with software to unlock vga resolutions

http://www.xploder.net/ps2/products/161/Xp...or-for-PS2-.htm

Q: The PS2 hardware isn't capable of outputting 720p and 1080i

A: Contrary to popular belief, the PlayStation 2 can output 480p, 576p, 720p, 1080i modes via a Component cable. In addition the PS2 supports the following VESA modes (via VGA adaptor):

#

# 640 x 480 (60,72, 75, 85hz)

# 800 x 600 (56, 60, 72, 75,85hz)

# 1024 x 768 (60, 70, 75, 85hz)

1280 x 1024 (60, 75hz)

the software is $40 and comes with a PS2 to Component (Y, Pb, Pr) cable

http://www.xploder.net/products/148/Xploder-HDTV-Player.htm

Dr_Frankenstein found some on the other thread (search occ: +ps2 +vga) by using google with search terms: ps2 vga converter

Edited by hardnrg

Ahhh, he used the word "converter." I've been trying "adapter," with little success. I'll look into that 20$ one from xploder, thought that'll be interesting ordering from a company in the UK (I'm in the USA). How long does stuff like that take to ship usually? Forgive my n00bishness, I've never had to order anything from out of the country before.

On an interesting note, there are actually a lot of companies in the UK that make adapters like that, but almost none in the US. That seems rather odd to me.