Maybe A New Rig

Ok, now that Christmas is rolling up, I'm thinking about what I need. I am (most likely) going to CU in the Fall of 07 and I was thinking about if I'm going to bring my computer or not. I don't really want to feel nerdy when girls come to my room and see my computer on the desk and all lit up. So I think I want to make a "sleeper" computer. One is quiet that I can leave on 24/7, download a lot, have a ton of movies on it etc. So lots of storage is a must. In college, I'm not sure what games will be hot, but I assume that I'll still want to play loads of CS:S. Also, playing FEAR and BF2 might be a possibility. So let's build me a rig? lol Budget is rather low I'm assuming. Let's just make it not that expensive, just what you think the minimum should be. I'll tell you if I think that's too expensive etc.

Case: Desktop ATX, no window, extremely quiet, well cooled.

Motherboard: ?

Processor: Maybe X2 4400

RAM: 2GB probably

HDD: LOTS of space

Powersupply: ?

Monitor: 17" emachines CRT (POS, but I don't need a good monitor)

Video Card: ?

Keyboard: ?

Mouse: Probably MX518

CD/DVD Burner: ?

Any ideas?

Gotdamojo, you can't download at ALL in college??

That's nonsense, I've downloaded dozens of gigs worth of stuff in a single night. I absolutely love the insane speeds I got with the University network. How I miss dorming... :(

That's nonsense, I've downloaded dozens of gigs worth of stuff in a single night. I absolutely love the insane speeds I got with the University network. How I miss dorming... :(

That's what I like to hear! Insane speeds :)

:withstupid:

Dorm downloading was glorious, at least back in '99. I don't know how much they do now for blocking p2p ports and such. May depend on the specific network. Regardless, I think you'll find the speeds to your liking :)