Not Enough Room For Power Supply...after Radiator Install

airman

Okay got started on my watercooling install today in my new case...and i got the radiator mounted at the top (2x120mm). after it was mounted i kinda looked at it funny, thinking if there will be enough room for the power supply. and...well, i miscalculated. there is about 6" of clearance between the edge of the case, and the end of where the radiator is. my powersupply is about 6.25" deep. so...only .25" not enough room to fit my power supply in. so....help me think of my options here. i can't move where the radiator is. all of the holes have been cut, and i'd have to buy a new case, so that's out of the question.

1) ghetto rig it [completely cut out where the mounting bracket for the psu is and secure it some other way

2) cut out the metal around the power supply where the radiator is going to be in the way

3) find a smaller power supply [rather not have to buy a new powersupply]

what are my other options here?

thanks guys

-mike

pictures of your problem?? but if my imagination is correct, you can just move your radiator to be outside your case, still on the top, but outside.

i guess i could do that. but still, after the barbs on the radiator stick down, there would probably still not be enough clearance.

if i post pictures...it's just going to be of my mounted radiator...so that won't do any good. basically if you didn't understand, i need to cut off/move my powersupply atleast a quarter of an inch or so.

an attempt:

the power supply that's in there already is just a crappy one i pulled from a hewlett packard like 3 years ago. it MIGHT have 150w. just to run fans/leaktest/etc.

edit: thumbnail is broken, click on it and it should bring it up. it does for me...

hmmm.. i guess you can somehow mod the case so that the psu is jutting out from the case.. perhaps an inch worth of the psu jutting out. but i doubt the barb should pose much problem. or or use like a spacer or something and ensure the radiator is really on top of the case, outside. haha but i think it will look funny cos the rad wont really flush with the case.

hmmm.. i guess you can somehow mod the case so that the psu is jutting out from the case.. perhaps an inch worth of the psu jutting out. but i doubt the barb should pose much problem. or or use like a spacer or something and ensure the radiator is really on top of the case, outside. haha but i think it will look funny cos the rad wont really flush with the case.

yeah, exactly my thoughts. i wasn't going to put the rad ontop unless...well, no i'm not gonna put the rad on top. eh. i'll figure something out.

Modifying the case to allow the PSU to overhang out of the back does seem like your best option.

You just need to devise a way of keeping the PSU secure really.

I suppose this could either be done by adding support to the back of the case, or by making sure the PSU is firmly secured at a point inside the case.

longer thread screwa could work in a similar way to the screws that already hold the psu in place. just have the longer thread that doesn't need to be threaded as a blank or rather, un-milled shaft like a hexagon bolt, with the last 5mm as thread. could work. what is the diameter of the screw thread normally? is it M4/M3? a 30mm or 35mm might do it.

cut a rectangle of sheet metal about 160mm x 320mm (basically allow for about 20mm clearance of the rad including the barb end, but *measure it* this time lol)... round off the corners to a 5mm radius... cut the new radiator fan holes in this plate... again, measure twice, cut once... this time ;)

cut the top of the case out to something like 140mm x 300mm (basically giving you a 10mm overlap between the new plate and the case)... measure this first and ensure the cutout means that the plate will sit further forward and allow enough clearance to the psu

drill the holes to either pop-rivet or bolt on the plate to the top panel... assemble the fan/rad and attach it to the plate, line it up and install the psu and make extra sure it's all going to work....

disassemble the fan/rad/plate, either sandblast the plate, lap and buff it to a mirror, paint it, or something to give it a nice finish

reassemble... and tada! custom rad plate... could even get cocky and engrave it or something :)

that's what i'd do... it's a corrective approach rather than a bodge-job with the psu hanging it's arse out the side of your pc... a precisely cut and finished plate will not look bad at all, it will look professional imo... i'm sure no-one would even think you messed it up... but imo psu hanging out = i suck at modding

a precisely cut and finished plate will not look bad at all, it will look professional imo... i'm sure no-one would even think you messed it up... but imo psu hanging out = i suck at modding

:lol:

If you are prepared to put the work in, that would certainly be nice.

You could probably turn a hanging out of the back PSU into some kind of "feature" following a similar vain :lol: