Hp Motherboard Oc?

Rob D

I have heard that HP motherboards can not be overclocked, is this true? This is what I have:

Processor: 3g H/T pent4

Memory: (4) 512MB PC3200 DDR

Board: Hewlett-Packard 0968h

Bus Clock: 800 MHz

BIOS: Hewlett-Packard 786C1 v01.05 06/16/2004

If it is possible, what are the possibilities?

It is very very very unlikely that you can overclock an oem (HP, Gateway, Dell etc.) motherboard...

We can figure this out pretty easily though, just go into your bios and see what options you have.

Here is a general overclocking guide that you should read very carefully... (its slightly out of date though)

BTW welcome to OCC, enjoy your stay!!!

Memory: (4) 512MB PC3200 DDR

do you mean you have 2 GB

this is another helpful link for an oc guide

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/Overclo...ics-t63690.html

I would suggest like andrew said, read as much as you can about it before you attempt to do anything, it will save you frustration and from getting yourself into some problems, trust me.

Oh, yeah, welcome to occ...

http://www.overclockersclub.com/folding.php

try folding out, its fun and helpful for curing diseases

Thanks guys. I was pretty sure I couldn't (very limited options with Speedfan and other programs) I just thought I would ask before I did anything. I do want to get a good MB soon. I'll have to check that section out thoroughly. I have read a lot of the overclocking info and though I would give it a try. It is 2G of ram I thought it would be best to show how it was 2G. The rest of the rig is pretty good but the motherboard and processor is the core so I would like to get the best I can afford on my budget. I could go for something in the $200 area and still use the same p4 right? Or would I need a better processor? I have a NVIDIA GeForce 7600GS, dual 80G HD's, a 500Watt power supply, and a good cooling system (38c idle and 48 taxed hard).

this is just my personal opinion, but I would defently go with one of the slightly older AMD 64 processors (socket 939) and a mobo that would work with it. I would suggest some sort of MSI mobo for you.

CPU

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....SubCategory=343

Mobo

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.as...oard+%2D+Retail

And with that mobo, you would be able to use everything that you have, except your video card. (unless its a pci or pcie)

Another suggestion is, if you decide to oc, you should defently get a new cpu cooler, replace the stock cooler. I have not done that yet, therefore i get high temps and dont push it very far

both the cpu and mobo come out to be under 200 including shipping, which is what you said you were willing to spend on a mobo for your p4

Im sure that someone is going to argue that you should go with an Intel chip, but if it were me, I would go with AMD

gotdamojo06,

Thanks, I do prefur AMD so that will not be a problem. I had to settle for the Intel at the time. Yes, the GPU I have is a PCI-e so I'm good. I have been looking into water cooling when I do OC.

Hmm, i have an hp comp (but don't intend to oc with it)

Why not get a core2duo board as they have the same socket and put your current cpu in it, then when you save up a bit more you can stick a E6300 in it which is great for ocing and this would also leave room for an upgrade to some of the faster core2 chips.

Maybe something like this as it was mentioned in the thread i started by bleeble who has one and found it is quite a good overclocker. Also custompc magazine found this to be a slightly better overclocker and it costs less than the gigabyte board.

Edited by Comp Dude2

Thanks again, I can upgrade using one of those MoBo's and save a few bucks (though I do prefer AMD) This upgrade will probably hold me till well after the new year (since everything else is upgraded) That's when I plan on building my new rig. For now updating the OEM MoBo with the Gigabyte or the ABIT will give me the ability to OC and still save a few bucks. There is nothing wrong with the Pent 4 in there now so I guess I'll keep it. I would like to save as much money as I can right now so I can throw it all at the new rig. What can I expect to get out of a 3G Pent 4 on one of those boards? This will be my first time OCing and I don't want to push my luck at to high a setting.

Hmm, i have an hp comp (but don't intend to oc with it)

Why not get a core2duo board as they have the same socket and put your current cpu in it, then when you save up a bit more you can stick a E6300 in it which is great for ocing and this would also leave room for an upgrade to some of the faster core2 chips.

Maybe something like this as it was mentioned in the thread i started by bleeble who has one and found it is quite a good overclocker. Also custompc magazine found this to be a slightly better overclocker and it costs less than the gigabyte board.

depends on the chipset... core 2 only works well on the p965/975x... and looking at that mobo and seeing he doesn't have ddr2 listed.... i'm doubting it's lga 775...

as for going 939, uhhh.... why? might as well go am2 for the few extra bucks and the ability to upgrade...

Well actually bleeble has the gigabyte board so i am pretty sure it will take a core2 and drr2 ram and also the Abit board was reveiwed by custom pc who not only used a core2 but also coarsair XMS 8500 DDR2 ram so i dont think you can doubt whether they have support for drr2 and core2's.

p.s i still think you colud go core2 and keep your current cpu until you can afford a e6300 or prices drop a bit.

Edited by Comp Dude2