Pick Up Weak Frequency With Tv Arial?

timoty

Just curious (because I tried and failed), is there any way to connect a wireless PC card to an arial (like a TV antena) to increase its ability to pick up a "free" wireless signal. Boosting the signal is not an option so I need to increase my chances of receiving it.

You can buy a large, external antenna to a wireless adapter, google should find you something useful. I'm not sure, but you should be able to make your own pretty easily, again though, google would be your friend for that.

Edit: A cantenna would be good, though that would only be good if you know where the AP you are connecting to is and you aren't moving around too much.

This 'signal' is stagnant but just a bit on the weak side. I have to stand with one leg in the air and foil wrap on my head to pick it up.......I'd like to fix that =-)

Honestly, I just think you aren't using enough foil...may also want to try and through some duct tape in there as well :D

The cantena is interesting but I think I will go the do-it-yourself google route first. The foil wrap was an exageration but the truth is that there is a spot right on the stairs in my house where I can pick up a wireless signal. I can't even pick it up outside of the house so the best I can figure is that the way that the staircase is must be focussing the signal somehow. Problem is I am tired of sitting on the stairs to surf the net. I "borrow" this free signal when my wife decides to watch Oprah and sucks up 3/4 of the bandwidth for hours at a time.

Edited by timoty

Do you know where the signal is coming from?

or is it just a random neighbors internet?

If you know where the signal is coming from then you can use a wireless adapter with an external antenna and use a pringles can (pretty much a DIY cantenna) as a directional antenna to receive the a better signal...

It is a 'local' internet connection but I can't, for the life of me, figure out which house it is comming from. I know the network names of both the adjacent houses but the one that I want is comming from space as far as I can tell. I get it on the staircase but if I walk around the outside of my house I can't pick it up. Tell me that isn't strange. The one network that I do know of and that is open is just Internet Lite (645KPS) and that just won't do =-)

This 'signal' is stagnant but just a bit on the weak side. I have to stand with one leg in the air and foil wrap on my head to pick it up.......I'd like to fix that =-)

can you post a pic of that? that way we can discuss how to use more foil