Need Advice

madwizard

Just started folding, but have found that am unable to run my games on my PC when folding is running . Antone else with this problem ? How to solve is my next question...

:blink: thats very odd. What do you mean you are unable to run games? are the FPS to bad or do they not even work? :unsure:

Tried to run my game and it just keeps flashing on my screen. then it just went back to my desktop. When I turned off my folding program the game would play..

This is my office PC.. It's sorta like a mix of parts. It has an AMD Athlon XP 2200+ Processor. 512 MB ram and a Radeon 9000 series video card.

I think I will fold on my home PC untill I replace my main board and processor in my office PC.

Edited by madwizard

well, i haven't used the "gui" version of F@H for a long time.

most people here use the command line version (which is the console version, i just meant to say graphical in my question to you)

I would get rid of the gui version of f@h & download the console version

http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/r...502-Console.exe

i'm not sure if there is a conflict between the graphical F@H & games...as i haven't used the gui version in years. But i use the console version of F@H & play CSS, FEAR, AOEIII and all my other games without any problems what-so-ever...

its very easy to setup, just answer the questions it asks you ;)

I have it setup to run as a service, so when windows starts up...so does folding ;)

Thanks for the advice. I tried my crystal ball but it has not worked since the old lady sat on it.. :angry:

I'm new to this sorta thing and should have read up on it more before instlling.. Then also, should have known better than to expect something to work right on this office PC that is slowly dying on me and needs to be taken out and shot.... B:)

Again.. thanks and will resume folding now.......

I run the graphical version of F@H and can play CS:S but it runs a little bit slower than usual, not as good fps, so I just shut it down then open it back up when I get done playing...little bit of a hastle, but its for a good cause!

The graphical version of the client has known OpenGL issues/conflicts. Unless you completely close the client out, it will keep crashing back to the desktop when playing certain games. sdy284 has the right solution by getting rid of the GUI client and installing the command line version instead. If you like to monitor you WU progress (and who doesn't), simply download Electron Microscope 3 and use that as your status monitor. It's relly easy to set up. Simply point it to your "unitinfo.txt" log file and it'll output your progress in real-time. Great stuff!!! :foldon:

Just started folding, but have found that am unable to run my games on my PC when folding is running . Antone else with this problem ? How to solve is my next question...

same thing happened to me... and i just stopped folding when i was playing games and started it back up again when i was done... doing that tends to work quite well