Loosing Connection

AMD64

Hi all, I want to know is can a mobo make you loose a net connection? The motherboard is a bit old about 2 years. Or is my crappy isp (virgin)? I am running my pc from down stairs from a router

thanks for all your help

*EDITED BY* the wannabe Grammer Nazi, Psycho_Active (Grammer & Spell checked)

Edited by Psycho_Active

is it wireless or wired...

if its wireless check to see if your usb ports have crapped out

if its wired and you are using the onboard network port, put a card in to see if your onboard port died and if its a card, try a new card or if you have onboard plug it in to the onboard.

I had the problem of my first mobo, cant remember what brand it was but i remember it was a socket a board, both the onboard video and the onboard usb went out on me, and i had it for a little bit more than 3 years, and i didnt oc or anything so i think it just got old and the connections crapped out

Before you spend off money.

I need to know your specs, but most importantly:

-PC hardware

-Your motherboard manufacture

-Router manufacture

Did this problem started happening recently?? If so, did you install any new software??

I suggest to run an antispyware scanner for spyware.

Also make sure you have the latest drivers for your onboard LAN.

Edited by silkster

Also do you have link lights on the router and on your Network Card?, should be either a solid green or solid amber light along with another one that flashes. If there is nothing, try another cable, try another port in your router. Could also be your onboard NIC kicked the bucket, in that case, I'd just buy a PCI network card as it will be a cheap solution.

If you have lights though, it is probably a whole other problem, but still could be a shot NIC.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a problem like this where my network connection would randomly drop or disconnect.

My RJ 45 port was above 2 USB 2.0 ports, and I had my Razer Diamond back plugged into the port directly under the RJ45, and it must have drawn too much power or something, because while it was plugged in there, I kept getting disconnects, till one day I moved my PC, and plugged the Razer into a different port by accident, and noticed no more disconnects! :D

Dont know if you have any USBs below your Rj45, or if you have any high power usb devices plugged in, but if you do, it mite be a good idea to move the device and see how it goes from there?