Out Of The Loop

So I havent been seen around here much but Im back, If U even remember me lol

had alot of school and work getting me down, but Im a tech now at compusa so life is much easier.

but ive been so out of the loop

ill be getting a dual core intel conroe a mobo and windows vista for like 200 bucks for intels retail edge program

So should i

A. build a new system with that stuff?

-and if i Do I need some questions answered plz :-D

First of all, Lga 775? how long is that going to last, like honestly, does anyone have a good estimate for how long 775 is going to be out.

and Another thing. PCI-E how long is THAT going to last, i heard of PCI-E2? and the BTX thing? what happened to that? if I used that stuff above ^, would i have to go btx? and does intel stil use ddr2?

Power supplies? i guess those are basically the same, im guessing a truepower 550 would be fine for all that ^ and a decent video card

OR should i sell it all, i've gotten 800-1k offers for the stuff. and I could build an Am2 system

but what does Am2 use? ddr2?........or are they going ddr3?

and heard am3 is coming out soon...........Then what!

ahhh I basically just need to know whats going on

but most important.

is ATX gonna be around for a long time

is PCi-E gonna last a long time (plz tell me no pci-e2 here soon)(http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=25774) <----thats where i got the idea from, dont know how truthful it is since we havent' even maxed pci-e out

lga 775? how much longer

am2? how much longer

and are PSU's still the same

and ddr2 and ddr3 whats the deal with those.

I know it's alot to ask, but plz help me back with the game

THX!

EDIT: OH BTW. DX 10...I understand the whole deasl with that.......but like newer games, wont REQUIRE dx10 will they?

Edited by CoolMaster

Ok, slow down... most likely PCI-E 32x will be backwards compatible like agp 4x/8x was... it won't be standardized for at least a year (most likely more) all i've heard was that intel was designing it... nothing more

There is no indication of anything coming after 775... but from the looks of it, 775 is staying for at least another year.

Once again... have you tried to play a dx9 game with a ti4200 (dx8.1 card) It will play. same thing You will just be missing some of the benefits of dx10.

BTX is a formfactor that has a improved design (placement of cpu) to allow better cooling. It is used in mostly OEM mobos/prebuilts. (Dell) It hasn't caught on anywhere else and is pretty much dead. ATX will be king for a long long while

Stay away from Antec's psu's as many are not as good as they once have been. Look into a OCZ or Seasonic

Am3 is all speculation. All we know is that they will change... we do not know when... as usual AMD is secretive about there stufff

Am2 uses ddr2. ddr3 is to come... but not for a long while (a year probably)

I really can't tell you much... All this is basicly rumor and just announcements... nothing more. The reason i keep saying a year at least, is because we have NO IDEA what's to come that far ahead...

For now it's AMD= price crown

Intel= Performance

It's basicly AXP/P4c days all over again

Edited by The Unforgivin

Antec Psu's are bad. but the truepower I've been using has been so good to me.

So I looks Like everything is what I speculated

I think ill prolly go with an lga 775 system

with my retail edge stuff

at least i get another year before I have to upgrade lol

nope. 4 things have kept that from happening.

1: Intel's stubborn engineering style

2: C2D is based off the OLD PIII

3: would have to license the memory controller from AMD (Intel won't allow that to happen again)

4: intel can change memory types (ie DDR3, which is coming very soon for Intel) without having to come out with a new CPU

of course I couldn't imagine if they'd cross breed the C2D's effiencent design with the memory controller of the A64. would be a total monster.

of course I couldn't imagine if they'd cross breed the C2D's effiencent design with the memory controller of the A64. would be a total monster.

heh, i was reading about that earlier, they made all kinds of improvements to keep up with the performance of a IMC... hehe *wonders if a C2D/A64 hybrid will ever come out :P jk

it's in development, which puts it at LEAST 18-24 months out.

when u say 18-24, do U mean.......18-24 months at least left for PCI-E

orrrrrr 18-24 months sometimes in between that range pci-e 2 will be out.

IS THERE ANYTHING ThATS GONNA STAY THE SAME FOR MORE THAN A YEAR

and bigred whens intels new socket coming out?

or actually does anyone know what it's called

and what abotu Am3 bigred, any clue on that

sorry for all the questions

Im looking to build a new system and I want one thats gonna actually .....last

Edited by CoolMaster

AM3 is 100% total BS.

as for what the next pci-e replacment is going to be called... or what intel's next socket is going to be called... who knows

better yet, who give a rat's behind. I'll worry about it when it comes around.

every time I read about someone who wants to wait it drives me crazy. KEEP WAITING, and stop asking what "might" be down the road. you're wasting everyone's time.